CBR1100XX.org Forum

finally tested out the rear shock shim

The Krypt Keeper

:shock: Wow is right...

I didn't go the full 6mm, only found washers that made it 5.3mm and used them. After 2 full weeks of sitting cause of rain I finally got to do a 8 mile test ride before rain fell once again on the dried roads I had waited so long for. :mad:

The bike reacts so much quicker to my reactions, leans over without a problem giving awsome turn-in :wink:

I give this mod 2 thumbs up :cycle:

That's the best $0.50 that you can spend and get the best results. It's amaizing how much better the bike goes from side to side ain't it. It hides it's weight even better. The shock should have been 6mm longer from the factory IMHO.

MUST DO THIS MOD...

:banghead:

I went to Home Depot, but didn't find a good washer...

Sometimes I can be so fricken helpless. LOL

I didn't pay anything for this mod... Actually if anything I got paid to do it.. I was at work in the shop, when I remembered it. So I went and got our digital mircometer out the drawer and went to one of the bolt bins we have in the shop.. after checking out several washers for the I.D. for the shaft of the shock I grabbed a few and stuck with 5.3 mm with 3 of them together :wink:

30 minutes to put on and adjust... :twisted:

From another thread-

Shock bolt OD is 10mm. As stated above, 3/8" SAE washers will work fine, as the SAE washers tend to be a bit larger on the ID than they are advertised as.

Sunday, Nik

Do you have an extra washer? I'll bring my rotozip to slot it so we don't have to take the shock off.

And I'll 'pay' you :blowjob:

I went to Home Depot, but didn't find a good washer...  

Sometimes I can be so fricken helpless. LOL

You can get girls naked and take pictures to post here but can't find a washer to slip under your shock? :roll: :grin:

think about the good, not the bad

handling vs. parking.

handling vs. parking.

You could always do like me and get an adjustable link. Low for in town and high for the twisties. takes 15 minutes, chain adjust included..

Krypt Keeper, don't scoff at the thought! :grin: I'm hight challenged, 5'6" and when I ride alone I wear Frank Thomas boots, however when I take my babe, I wear my Daytons, from my left over Harley wardrobe. I just had them resoled etc, I have 1 " on the sole and 1 1/2" on the heal, I feel very secure when loaded with full Give bags and pillon. A bit heavy and not a flexible as sport boots but worth the trade off. :wink:

you'd have to drop the front more than 3 mm. the 3mm on the back is on the shock and with the 3:1 ratio means 9mm at the rear wheel. 3mm rear shock shim and 9mm front drop.

Theoretically, yeah, but dig up the thread with this a couple of weeks ago, and read what other opinions are. The front is definitely more sensitive to height adjustments than the rear is.

I've heard of guys shimming their shocks as much as 10mm with good results. I lowered my forks 6mm in the triples last year. The bike handled great 2-up, but was twitchy and had a front end weave when solo riding. Most pronounced in moderate leans, and at speeds over 120 (not that I would do those kinds of speeds :roll: ).

Put the forks back to original positioning, and went with the 6mm shim in the rear. Handles great solo, and better than stock when 2-up with no stability issues.

BTW, my experience was after installing RaceTech 1.0 springs & the 900RR shock with 16kg spring. Sag was set at 30mm front & 32 rear with just me on the bike.

Linky: http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.p...=asc&highlight=