CBR1100XX.org Forum

PCII or is it just me

aptyp

So I got the PCII plugged in with a stock map in the bike and it seems to run quieter and smoother, or is it just loosing power? Rollon at 1/4 throttle feels strange but I'm not entirely convinced it's not all in my head.

Does anyone else have experience with it?

First question that comes to mind are what, if any mods are on the bike - pipe, K&N, etc. I had one on my 00 for a few years and tried many maps and even some I modified myself. Could definately make more power and fill in torque gaps with modified maps (or some of the ones you can download from Dynojet). Recently took it off due to significantly reduced mileage no matter what map I ran. The difference in power produced was minor, but the improved driveability was significant.

Best bet may be to have it dialed in on a Dynojet, although I've heard horror stories of the cost/benefit some have had with this approach.

Stock exhaust, K&N filter and a bitching sticker! Well ok, no sticker either... just plain old bike...

Ok so it feels somehow smoother but when rolling on it feels softer and this is with the "stock" map from dynojet.

Ok just got back from my first extended ride and gotta say this was money well spent! Where as before the bike did not like having any load on it under 3k rpm but now it's fine from 2k on :-) Smoother, engine seems quieter and I like it! Will definitely have to run it through a dyno though.

As replied above, the best benefit to the PC is the midrange response, and more accurate mapping than the factory.

Try out a few maps to see if you like something better, but you seem to be pretty happy with the stocker.

If you're going to add timing, general rule of thumb is +2 degrees = +2 HP

I install a pc lll on my 02 Bird after I installed a K&N and Two Bro C5 Titanium slip ons. I rode one month with pipes and air cleaner but bike seemed too "bubbly" at low rpm's. Had an excellent www.futurcycle.com Harley shop install the pc and dyno the bike. Excellent shop!! 135 hp/78 ftlbs/torque at 10800 @165 mph on the dyno,to the rear wheel. Smoothed out the leaness(air/fuel) and smartened up the mid-range. I think if you've added a pc ll (why not a pclll?) it's best to dyno your bike. Don't bother with a before and after, who cares? I think the dyno put's a fair amount of pressure on the electrics et al, so I didn't dyno first. Remember in the shop the bike doesn't get the advantage of "ram air". I think I may have 140 with cool ambiant temp at maybe 8000 rpm. :lol: Good Luck

I think if you've added a pc ll (why not a pclll?) it's best to dyno your bike. Don't bother with a before and after, who cares? I think the dyno put's a fair amount of pressure on the electrics et al, so I didn't dyno first. Remember in the shop the bike doesn't get the advantage of "ram air". I think I may have 140 with cool ambiant temp at maybe 8000 rpm.   :lol: Good Luck

Why not a PCIII... 'Cuz the '99 - '00 call for the use of the PCII! :lol: As for the before and after??? Well I'm kinda funny about wanting to have a baseline if I'm wanting to know exactly how much additional performance a specific setup adds! I thought I read somewhere that the Ram-Air effect doesn't really have an effect until well into the triple digits.

Hey Buddy, we all do what feels good :!: . It cost money to dyno a bike and adds some stress. If you hang out on the Brit site you'll know that there are conflicting reports of true Bird HP/torque. What the PC does as I understand is improve mid-range and smooth out the fuel/air mixture. This has been my experience with my Bird and the print out seems to indicate this. I spend more time in the 4-7,000 rpm range and we all know that life on a Bird changes hugely when we sweep 7,000 rpm. In 6th 7000 rpm is north of 200 kpm and you know as well as I do that's quick and we often run out of road, and into common sense. At least I do. According to the design of the Bird I believe ram air has a substantial effect of Bird performance, buy hey!, I'm no expert, I just enjoy my ride. I think you'll find performanc better at 15-20 C than 40 C. If one spends enough time on all three Bird site he'll be educated, informed, confuse, enlightened, entertained, annoyed, and sometimes just pissed off. Viva le free speech! Cheers :wink:

CB... I'm not tryin' to start a flamefest or anything like that (I save that for work!)... And me being an anal fuck(up), I gotta know where I'm starting from. I wish I could remember where in the hell I read the article about the ram air effect, but they say the mind is the first ting to go... BTW, "they" lie!!! T'was my hair that went first! I do agree that the Dynojet base map has made the XX much more managable (like it wasn't before :shock: ). As for the dyno, I lucked out and had a couple of "FREE" runs from some Dynojet jet kits I purchased. Now if I decide to do the full blown PCII/Dyno tuning session thing... I gotta cough up about 250 USD... Now that's got my attention! :roll:

I talked to the head mechanic at a bike shop for dyno tuning my bird. We already got a baseline run in the computer. Said he would dyno tune my bike for $75 if I bring in the bike with the PCIII already installed :shock:

$75 bucks to dyno tune :cool: that has my attention :wink:

Advancing the timing does basically no good on this engine - at least in stock form. Basically all the PC can do is smooth out your A/F mixture. The hope is that the "stock" map for the PC is better then the actual stock settings. On a stock bike you would be lucky to see more then a few HP difference total, but if you get rid of a dip then you won.

[when it was still stock] I personally felt a nice improvement in throttle response but it didn't equate to any more top hp.