CBR1100XX.org Forum

Headlamp replacement

Mikey

So, my low beams finally fried. What is the H# for the bulb and I'll pick it up on the way home. I also heard that it's not standard and that you can modify a normal H4 to fit in the spot...any thoughts? Also the wattage, etc?

If it's standard, then I won't modify anything. H7, great, no prob. What do I have to take appart to get at the back of the headlight?

The H4 is a duall fillament bulb.... Which unless you'd rewire, would be usless.

I think the holes in the headlamp are smaller than the H4 anyway....

Apparently the best bulbs are the Phillips "Vission +", not available in the US.

You can get them here though...

http://www.autolamps-online.com/products/h...vpluscentre.htm

Cheers,

Don't have time. I'm headlightless now. and I want to drive the bike after dark. It looks pretty cool with just the running lights though... :twisted:

I bought bulbs in the Auto Zone... Sylvania "True Blue" , I think....dark blue package. They are 55W and have NO TINT on the glass ! $15 a piece.

They have another bulb, more money, seethrough/white package and I think I heard they were crap ! I think those were called "Silverstar"... :roll:

Go here http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/sylvani...halogenhead.asp

Click on this " T-3 1/4" - H7 bulbs are there...

Cheers,

In the past I have had a slightly hard time finding H7 bulbs......soooooo

In the mean time.....if you have to wait for one to be shipped:

1. You could swap the hi and low beam bulbs - they are the same.

2. run w/ the hi beam on

- Tit

best/easiest way is to remove one of the trim panels next to the speedo cluster. or if you have small hands and can work by feel you may be able to snake your hand up from underneath the nose without removing a panel.

hell it's 2 minutes to take off. i'd take it off.

Oh My God. You guys have feminene (sp?) hands. I tried for 20 minutes to change the damn bulb..but NOOOOOO, you need to have hands the size of a fucking 6 year old to get in there. Finally I had to take the upper off and once I pulled it out, easily changed the bulb. Just got done putting it back on. I hate you, I hate all of you who can get there hand in there even with the upper cowls off. I couldn't do it.

Don't hate me because I have big hands. That's it, just big hands, no euphamisms involved.

I bought the sylvania silverstar since there was nothing else. See through packaging. I'll let you know if those bite it.

I bought the sylvania silverstar since there was nothing else. See through packaging. I'll let you know if those bite it.

Contrary to some other opinions... I like the Silverstars. :shock:

I tried for 20 minutes to change the damn bulb..but NOOOOOO, you need to have hands the size of a fucking 6 year old to get in there.

My 37 y.o hands fit quite okay....Joe witnessed as I changed bulbs at the MegaXX, when we waited for the group - who never showed up ! :evil:

You did turn the wheel right ?! :shock: :twisted: ....

I don't have a personal experience with Silverstars....I wrote what I've heard. :???:

I've also heard that the PIAA bulbs suck ! :twisted:

Cheers,

I Know what your saying Peter, I just have no idea how you and the others did it. And YES, I turned the wheel. I found that the rad and the subframe up there really got in the way. Doesn't matter, it's working now :]

Mikey, let us know what you think of the Silverstars. since you were in there did you buy and replace both with Silverstars?

I've got the Sylvania Cool Blue's, the predecessor to the silverstars. I like them.

When I had my regulator issue I blew a headlight bulb (not knowing it was the regulator at the time) and E-mailed Sylvania and they sent me 3 bulbs free so I've got spares for life.

I've always found H7's at Advance Auto, both regular and $$$$ ones.

Might want to hook up a voltmeter and watch for a while. Mine would give 14 volts and look normal then with a little time jump to 18 then right back down.

Mikey, let us know what you think of the Silverstars. since you were in there did you buy and replace both with Silverstars?

Pete.. I've put the Silverstars in all my vehicles. The light is whiter and are about 500°K (that makes them around 4000°K) "hotter" than your Cool Blues. I find that these fifty YO eyes see more at night with these bulbs than with the standard halogens. My next step may be the HID replacements, but for the time being the Silverstars work just fine.

OH yeah, don't forget to put some dielectric grease on the plugs/prongs!

• 4 weeks later...

Ah ha, I'm not the only one who had to strip the fairing....

So two things I've noticed. Those silverstars are FARGING bright. They cast a cleaner light than the old ones. I never noticed the yellow tint of the old one until I put these puppies in. As well, people are flashing me thinking I'm running brights now, didn't happen much before.

On a related note, I might have knocked the headlight out of alignment. It seems a little higher than normal. I'll check that later. Might explain the flashes from other cars :]

I ended up pulling the upper fairing off, for me this was much faster than strugleing with those damn little springs with the fairing on.

You guys are funny.....

I got size 11 hands and all I do is pull the windscreen, then work one hand up and one down. :lol:

The H4 is a duall fillament bulb.... Which unless you'd rewire, would be usless.

I think the holes in the headlamp are smaller than the H4 anyway....

Apparently the best bulbs are the Phillips "Vission +", not available in the US.

You can get them here though...

http://www.autolamps-online.com/products/h...vpluscentre.htm

Cheers,

Second that on these bulbs. They are very bright without getting too hot and melting things. The first time I turned on the highbeam on at my wifee, she said SHIIITTTT!

I ended up pulling the upper fairing off, for me this was much faster than strugleing with those damn little springs  with the fairing on.

You guys are funny.....

I got size 11 hands and all I do is pull the windscreen, then work one hand up and one down. :lol:

The concept of snapping that little spring in place is my issue. Smart thing for me to have done would have been to leave one in place for an example. Of course I took them both righ off

I know a man that's really smart, and he's a great guy, that once tested the brightness of turn signal bulbs...

... I wonder if we could get him to run the same test on headlamp bulbs?

Now that would be cool!

Joe?

It's easier on the FI bikes, the oil cooler is a lot lower and the ram air tubes are not in the way, they go along side the fairings. All I have to do is reach up under my fender and they are right there.