CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Changing (long post)

Clinton Horn

For all of you who considered changing your on tires, here is my story.

Bought new rear Avon St 46 from Southwest Moto. Tire came promptly to my door. I rode it around in my car for a week or two before finally giving in an approaching a small indepent "hawg" dealer near my work.

Me" do you change AND balance motorcycle tires?" Him "I got a state of the art changer with computer balance blah blah blah". Me "How much to mount my tire on my rim?" Him " where did you purchase the tire?" Me : (no fooling this guy) " I got it off the internet" Him" we have a special rate for people who buy mail order tires" Me" ok How much?" Him " $30." I am thinking boy this guy is really rubbing it in. But I want to ride so I say OK. I start opening my trunk and he (in a surprised voice)" you have it off the bike? Yeah Nimrod I took it off myself. I realize now that I have just performed 1/2 of his work for free. Anyway he takes it in and I wait carefully pointing out that it is a directional tire. He says his guys knows but he goes to tell him anyway (I am guessing he did not know). I have to endure the "went cross country on that machine there, pulled a trailer, you know if you had bought that tire from me it would have been cheaper to have it mounted." I said I did not want a whitewall and he (getting pissed) says "I can order anything you want." No shit, that is what I just did.

Anywaaaaay I start to see thread on my FRONT tire the other day. Sphincter tightened up and ordered another tire (matching Avon front tire). This time I decide to "do it yourself". Here is the meat of the whole story. I took the cardboard box that the tire came in for a soft platform. Bought two tire spoons (made in China) for 4.95 each at Northern Tools Used a large C clamp for a bead breaker. Bead breaking was a little stubborn (if I had been patient and just went even 1/2 way round the tire but NO) I take a box cutter and split the tire from center to sidewall. Here is a hint, I think the bead is reinforced with wire. Box cutter slids across the wire and box cutter stabs thigh. Blood starts to pool. You know the question, gee I wonder how bad that is beneath my jeans? Happy to report the wound was not severe. But to continue, the c clamp really worked well after I vented a 4" long section from the tire (bead still intact though). Once the beads fell to the center of the rim, My Chinese spoons made childs play out of getting it off. You can use almost anything as a rim protector. I used leather. If you soap the rims AND pay attention to the directional arrow, you can install all but the last 1/4 circle of the second side with your hands and feet. The spoon levers the tire on and after 30# of air both sidewalls seated (watch your fingers). I balanced using the axel and two saw horses. Stick on weights are $12%$^&*#@ dollars so either melt down some of those old .45 slugs or save you weights like I did. It takes about 2 beers to really do a good job on the weights. Final warning: You cannot pull the front rim hard enough to break the mounting bolts in half and dislodge the calipers. It is much simpler to remove them FIRST and then slide the tire out. If you really want to make it easy, slip off the fender. In closing, yeah it probably was worth the $30 in the long run, but I would do it again myself in a heart beat.

:lol: pretty good read..

some tips for you..

go to harbor freight and buy a bike tire changer.. and a balancer... :wink: can pick both up for around a $100. Plus you already got the spoons.

I can have my front wheel off my bike in 10 minutes easy.. taking calipers off, fender and lossening pinch bolts, and then the axle, and there she is..

....you know if you had bought that tire from me it would have been cheaper to have it mounted." I said I did not want a whitewall and he (getting pissed) says "I can order anything you want."

That's too funny! Good response.

I go to a private shop that works on Harley's for my annual state inspections. They are the closest place to me, and a lot quicker and easier than messing with the big dealers.

The guy's got the full sleeve tatoos, and looks the part, but is actually a cool guy, and doesn't seem to have the "attitude". Never any wise ass remarks about Jap bikes. Actually once, he just laughs after the horn and light checks, and says "these things always work".

This spring when I was there with my old Yamaha, and said I would be back with the other bike. He really liked the Blackbird, and even called his helper out of the shop to check it out. We chatted a while, and he admitted he has a BMW K1200. He remarked that he has ridden every Harley, and can't stand any of them on the highway for any distance, but loves the BMW and can ride it all day!

I might actually pull my wheels and ask him to do my tires when it comes time!

Steve