CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front End Problems?!

4U2NV

I’m wondering if my ’02 Bird is having front end problems or something?! Sometimes when I let go of my handle bars, they start to shake… one time I tried it and it almost felt like a tankslapper was inevitable as they began to shake violently forward and backward about 2 – 3” :shock: They seem to shake more on certain road surfaces than others. I haven’t noticed this ‘problem’ on my previous bikes. Does this ‘problem’ have to do with the bike’s steering geometry, rake, tire pattern, or something that is different than other bikes?

I remember reading something about it in one of the topics, but I can’t find it :sad:

Can you check the front tire weighting (balance) with the wheel still on the bike?

I use a wooden saw horse and some nylon tie down straps to lift the front when I need to but I havent tried to check the tire weighting via this method.

Trent

Everything is stock on the bike except for a GIVI Wingrack. I haven’t touched the bike mechanically... had the first service (600 mile) completed and now have 1250 miles on it. I’ll check for headshake with the luggage on and off, loaded and unloaded. No, I haven’t gained or lost forty pounds :lol: Maybe that’s the problem... I’m only 5’9” / 160lbs :shock: Several of my riding buddies are surprised how well that I can handle the weight of the bike and throw it through the corners :wink:

I’ll also check the front tire as suggested… Thanks for the input :)

i didn't have headshake with my oem bt57's.

i got headshake with my front bt020 AND a little less with my front bt010.

and a lot less with my givi wingrack and top case.

might have been me talkign about steering head bearings, but i checked mine and they were fine.

i'm hopin when i get a new pair of tires soon, this will be in the past ;o)

I think Rockme's got it right: the bike does not respond well to top racks, or side bags for that matter.

My '99 was a real handful with Corbin bags. The 17 extra pounds or change in aerodynamics upset the bike. The dying front and rear suspension did not help.

I've Race Tech'd my front, and Penkse'd the rear, with heavy springs for my amble girth (230 lbs). This vastly improved compliance of the front and rear. Static sag's about 1.25 inch at both ends.

Compounding the issue, I am deeply suspicious of BT010s and 020s on these bikes. Mine's never been quite right running them. I thought we decided these tires were not "recommended" for Beast Bikes due to insufficient sidewall stiffness? When the current 010/020 combo dies, they go in favor of something else more up-to-date. The 010 front is cupped and doesn't feel right, and never really did. The 020 rear is wearing fine, but almost gone (no complaints).

I'm thinking the bike killed the tires, asking something of them they could not give. I don't ride the 'bird like a little girl.

I stole this from the Michelin website, the blurb for the Michelin Pilot HPX. Guess who they had in mind?

• Evolved from the Pilot Sport, but specifically designed for hypersport bikes like the Suzuki Hayabusa, Kawasaki ZX-12 and Honda CBR 1100XX.

• Engineered with a particular emphasis on high-speed stability, The rear Pilot Sport HPX has been certified under stringent European requirements atspeeds up to 200 mph* (320 km/h).

• Special tread compound developed for sustained high speeds.

• Rear tread pattern combines large tread blocks and uniform distribution of the tread grooves, for excellent grip, efficient water evacuation, and optimal wear pattern.

• Front tread pattern similar to that of the rear tire, for powerful braking, grip on wet roads, and even treadwear.

THANKS FOR THE INFO/INPUT!

I checked the front tire for air pressure and/or wear probs... everything looks fine :wink:

It must be the roads, passenger, or GIVI bags that cause probs (or a combination of them) :shock:

For what it's worth, I sometimes get a slight head shake on deceleration, too -- with and without my Givi luggage on.

I think it's partly the tires because I'm still running D205s (never again, though), but I also think the road surface plays a big factor, as I don't always get the head shake, and I started noticing a "shimmy" in my truck when I'm driving on the same roads.