CBR1100XX.org Forum

When to change to synthetic oil???

Iceman_40

I don't want to start another oil battle but I need a bit of advice.

I have a 03 Bird (New a month ago) I did the first oil change about week or two ago, with just a hair under 1000Km on the clock. When I changed the oil I just used standard 4 stroke motor oil.

Here's the kicker, I should have approx 2000-2500Km on the bike before the end of the month when I'm planning a trip across Canada. Yellowknife, NT to Nova Scotia.

I plan on changing the oil before I leave, should I stick with standard 4 stroke oil or move to Mobil 1?????

Don't change to synthetic until you have about 8K km (5K miles) on the bike, seems to be the general consensus.

My engine guy says use the dino oil for at least 5K km, then switch.

Just to keep the discussion going, I've heard you can switch after 1000 miles.

Another said since most of the wear on a new engine occurs in the first 100 miles switching at the first oil change, 300 miles is good.

Whatever oil you use, don't go with the "Energy Conserving" Mobil 1 or any oil that has Moly in it. Moly will eventually cause the clutches to slip after extended use. You might want to check the "4 Stroke" motor oil that you are using and make sure it has no moly in it. If it does, it will probably be OK till your next change when you put NON MOLY oil in it.

Just makin sure.

I switched to Mobile 1 synthetic 15w50 on the first oil change at 500 miles. 23k miles later, every 3k change, no problems.

You going to the Cabot Trail? That's a great ride. I was there a couple years ago and some of the pavement was crap but maybe it's been redone.

30243243.jpg

Sweet picture BTW I really love the twistys on the road, have yet to see any better.

Forsure, my parents still live in a small town there called Inverness, grew up there less than 30mins from the Cabot trail. Uncle lives less than 1mile from the start of it..

Whatever oil you use, don't go with the "Energy Conserving" Mobil 1 or any oil that has Moly in it. Moly will eventually cause the clutches to slip after extended use. You might want to check the "4 Stroke" motor oil that you are using and make sure it has no moly in it. If it does, it will probably be OK till your next change when you put NON MOLY oil in it.

Just makin sure.

I made sure the oil I picked up didn't have moly in it. But thanks for the warning, better to be safe than sorry.

Well just to be safe I think I may just use standard oil for the trip down. It's going to be about 5-6000Miles, do you think I'll be ok without changing it until I get there? I figure 5-10 days riding for the trip(have to make a stop in Ont for a wedding for a few days).

For what it's worth. GM puts synthetic oil (Mobil1) in your new truck at the first service. After that, what you use for oil is up to you, but they feel this is important. GM pays for that first service. (Well, actually, you pay for the first service when you buy the truck, but it sounds better this way.)

As I recall 15w50 Mobil 1 doesn't have moly in it. Walmart carries it in a gallon jug which fill the XX nicely.

We stayed outside of Baddeck right on the Bras d'Or Lake. If I remember right we rode through Inverness.

As I recall 15w50 Mobil 1 doesn't have moly in it. Walmart carries it in a gallon jug which fill the XX nicely.

We stayed outside of Baddeck right on the Bras d'Or Lake. If I remember right we rode through Inverness.

If you took the senic route along the west coast of Cape Breton, (Route 19) you would have drove throw Inverness. I can't wait to get back home and get my bird on the twisties.....

I switched to Mobile 1 synthetic 15w50 on the first oil change at 500 miles. 23k miles later, every 3k change, no problems.

You change Synthetic every 3K miles!!! Wow.

I'll run a season on the XX with Synthetic in the spring, just change filters every other month.

MaXX

I change synth oil, and filter, every 2k miles. :oops:

I would happily pay you $.50 a quart for that oil (shipped)!!! :lol::lol:

Filters are cheap (Fram at Fleet Farm, $3) I wouldn't normally go with Fram but I am replacing them quite often.

Mac

You change Synthetic every 3K miles!!! Wow

Oil changes are cheap insurance. The big bottle of Mobile 1 costs what, $20? I can't think of a better way to protect your engine.

Plus... It's a Honda. It's the only maintenance I get to do on the bird. That and the occasional chain adjustment are pretty much it. I'm excited because I get to bleed brakes again and replace the air filter, as I'll be at 24k miles this week.