CBR1100XX.org Forum

CCT question

Slipperman

Hi all, I just bought my first BB a couple of weeks ago. ('99 stock). Let me start by saying I love this bike!

I know that the cct thread is pretty popular in this forum, but just wanted to ask about my particular situation anyway.

My bike has that "marbles in the engine" sound when I first start it up. It's usually gone in 5-10 seconds though, and I've never noticed any rattle or marble sound while riding. Is this a first warning sign of a bad cct, or is this the normal process of the cct doing its job? It sure is an embarassing sound when you start it up to show off to a friend!

Just wondering

Jim

Thanks guys, I was just worried because the bike I bought (from a dealer) had apparently sat in their store for a year without being sold (or cleaned, but that's another story). They also made me a killer deal on it, like they really wanted to get rid of it. ( I live in Las Vegas, and if it's not a Harley, or a Gixxer, it doesn't sell). I was concerned that something might be wrong with it, and in a dealer situation you don't get a test ride. Luckily for me, she runs like a top!

The salesman mentioned to me at one point about the counter-balances in the Blackbird, and that you'll hear it rattle some because it had "high-performance cams." I remember wondering if he was full of shit and trying to explain away the noise I would soon be hearing from the bike after they got my money.

It's good to know that this is a normal thing for the bike.

Thanks again!

Jim

How cold is it when this noise happens?

Mine only makes that kind of noise when below 40 or so. 60+, and it's quiet, but runs a bit rough until it warms up (cold start feature).

I also concur with Joe, that your dealer is full of shit. The cams & balancers don't make any noise, at least not normally. :roll:

New to me @ 29K:

Rattle and a metalic clunk like the friction of the idling engine was torquing the chain/sprocket.

Changed the BLACK oil out and new filter and she's never done it since.

It was 40-30 degrees out when it did it. No more cold or warm.

-Suf Daddy

Okay, upon further investigation:

This morning I confirmed that the noise only happens at idle when first started. I'm in Las Vegas, and it's currently in the high 70's in the mornings (5:30 am). So, I don't think temp is an issue here. The noise definitely goes away when I pull in the clutch, but it makes a slight chain-knocking kinda sound when I rev the engine hard (in neutral, on the side stand) if the bike isn't warmed up yet. It really does remind me of that sound like when you're on a roller coaster,and you get to the bottom of a big hill, when the chain on the track first makes contact with your car and starts to pull you up. (But of course, it's not THAT loud). For a split second there is that grabbing sound.

Again, this sound does NOT happen at 4k.

CCTs are pretty inexpensive and seem relatively easy to replace, so I'll definitely check into an X-11, but I just wonder what else?

Well, first things first- quit revving your engine "hard" before it's warmed up. Nothing good will come of it.

I'm sure your just hearing the normal clutch noise. If it goes away with the clutch in, or once the bike is warmed up, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If your still concerned, drop a PM to Chester as someone already suggested.

Don't worry, I don't make a habit of revving the engine cold. I only did it for researching this sound. I hope you're right about the clutch sound. I did PM Chester, and he said that the BB clutch was bulletproof, and shouldn't be making any sounds like that. Thus my frustration.

I can certainly live with the sound (being that it's minor), just as long as I know nothing is being mashed around in there.

I'm gonna try and hook up with Chester here in LV. He said he would take a listen.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Jim

After all the cam chain tensioner hoopla, I made a strike on one via my favorite Honda parts dealer not long ago. Guess it isn't the "X11," unless that's the version made by Honda these days. Whatever. My '99 just crossed 40K miles. TTBOMK the bike's on the stock tensioner (bought used in '01).

Installation took about a half-hour, as anticipated. The right panel stayed on; I saw no reason to remove more than a couple fasteners.

Well, time for a "duh" moment: the new tensioner significantly quieted the engine. In a a case of, "didn't know what I was missing," the engine sounds much happier. I had no idea this quick fix would cause substantial improvement ("duh.") No more engine marbles, fellas.