CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cooling the Voltage Regulator with a CPU fan

MileHi

I've read enough threads here (and on some VFR lists) about the Honda R/R getting hot and cooking itself. And with my experiences with Ducati regulators, I decided to take a "proactive" approach to this "issue". It looks like the Viffer guys use a computer case fan and attach it to the regulator and power it off of a tail light or the brake light circuits. SO off I go, with a handful of case fans, zipties and and a positive "can do" attitude.

I managed to get the fan attached to the R/R without totally removing the side body panel, but I think I lost a lot more skin that I would have if I had removed the panel. So, it's installed and the fan comes on with the ignition... Whoo hoo... Uh, not just yet Bunkie... Apparently there is more free space between the R/R and body panel on the Viffer than ther is on the XX! :cry: Off comes the fan (more skinned knuckles), and Ray puts the ol' thinking cap back on... He roots through his boxes of old computer parts (some dating back to Z80 days) and finds the solution to his problem! The 60 cm fan off of an OEM AMD CPU heatsink is perfect. It's only about 10 cm tall, so clearance isn't a problem...

I wired it into the rear brake light circuit and it works fine!!! I've only tested it out on a few short rides but the R/R does feel cooler to the touch. And if the fan should fail, it's small enough that it will not block the regulator's fins to affect the normal radiant cooling.

Has anyone else tried anything like this??? Or, do I have too much time on my hands? :lol:

Has anyone else tried anything like this??? Or, do I have too much time on my hands?

Not to my knowledge.......

and "yes" :poke:

Actually, I think it's a great idea. Probably never tell if it did any good, as the regulators seem to go on a very irregular basis.

pics please! :grin: :bigchicken:

I just knew someone would ask that... I'll see what I can do, as I really STILL don't want to take the side cover off!!!

BTW... It survived a wash 'n wax. :grin:

MileHi,

I recently bought a '97 Blackbird and I noticed that the R/R does get quite hot. I assumed that was "normal". Your idea sounds pretty good. I should be able to round up a cooling fan here at work from an old pc....

Where exactly did you wire it to?

Do you think the plastic zip ties will hold up to the heat?

Thanks,

Ian

I recall going over this in a way previous thread, or on another forum. I'm not sure how we arrived at it, but the conclusion was that mounting a fan to facilitate cooling of the heat sink was an essentially worthless gesture. It's okay if it makes you feel better, though. :grin:

Well, to be honest.... I was wondering just that... Oh well, it kept me busy (and outta trouble) for a few hours, :roll: and it's easily removed if the fan dies!!!

BTW Joe... Thanks for the CCT. I got it installed too! :lol: