CBR1100XX.org Forum

just changed oil/filter

kjclark7

i just did an oil change on my xx and changed to mobil 1 15w50 and also to the supertech st6670 oil filter. my only question was when i switched filters and looked at the honda filter i had on there, the supertech one was not as long as the honda one. i thought that you guys said it was longer and in turn better? did i get the wrong one??? i havent ridden it yet, just up and down the street. the shifts seem smoother with the mobil 1. anyway let me know if its alright. thanks.

kevin

How many miles you got on your bird? I am at 9k miles and just also replaced my sparkplugs. Wasn't much of the irridium there to spark. I noticed here for the past 1500 miles she would crank over for a second or two before firing to life.

Changed plugs and soon as my finger hit the buttom she roared to life :wink:

Expensive little bastards at $8 a plug

I don't know about the 6670, but the 6607 that I use works fine for me

Musta been temporary dislexia, huh Joe!

Reminds me of an old joke about the mother's organization (kind of like MADD) only it is called "DAM"..........

Mother's Against Dislexia

There is another SuperTech filter that is 3/4 " longer han the 6607. It is number 7317. I cannot decide what kind of voodoo these manufacturers use. My old Maxima (190 h.p.) used the 7317 filter. It is small but the 6607 is tiny. My newer Maxima (255 h.p.) uses the small 6607. These filters are made for Walmart by Champion. They are both "98%" effective, have synthetic paper and both fit my Bird fine. I believe they are safe. All filters go into bypass during extremes. In that mode they won't strain out gravel. There are many here that must have a Honda filter to sleep comfortably. Those are the type of people you want to look for when you buy used.

I was so curious, I got a flashlight and went and looked. You are right to voice concern. It evidently did not touch (no scarring on the header) but it would have to be close to the stock header. I could see it raising the filter casing temperature considerably. I buy a sack full of both filter numbers and use them as I have need. I think from now on I will stay with the smaller for the bird. The Max has oodles of clearance. So forget the extra length for the bird (but it will fit and clear)