CBR1100XX.org Forum

AVON 45/46 and the AVON 45/46Bs choice

00XX

I don't know if this is related to the wear and traction discrepancies that some have posted for the AVON 45/46 tires, but it might be.

The non B and the "recommended" B versions for the XX are significantly different tires. In a phone call last week, the US AVON expert described changes to the sidewalls and tread to meet the German TUV standards for bikes capable of 180+mph.

He said that the feedback on applications on XXs, Busa's, etc. has been "much more positive" with the non B versions . He also stated that the Z rated non Bs have been tested for long periods at these high speeds, but if you ran them in the 180s plus for extended periods of time in Death Valley heat, they "might fail before the B versions". Due to the compromises required by the Bs, the standard tire has proved to provide better comfort, grip and tire life. He said that if it were his Blackbird, he would use the standard tire and that as the word gets out, you will see fewer and fewer places carrying the Bs.

I expect that for liability reasons, this will not be AVONs official position, but he convinced me. I basically do "Fast Sport Touring", have never exceeded 180mph unless in an airplane, so others may think differently.

If you find pieces of me in Death Valley due to a tire explosion, then I may have made the wrong call.

If they are going to be so many different tires then they all should be listed different..

At first I loved my 45/46's now I am thinking about how much of a joke Avon really is of a tire company..

Tires are a very important part of a bike. You put your life in the hands of your tires everytime you ride.

Don't make 50 fucking options for a tire... sticky wear faster, less sticky wear longer how difficult is that.. All tires should have a standard rating for 200 mph and all the speed rated shit will be no more. Unless you need special applications for your Y2K or jet bike :roll:

So, I guess you think Michelin is a joke of a tire company as well with the regular Pilot Sports and the HPX's. Sometimes tire companys just have to satisfy the governments of the countries in which their tires are sold.

I just ordered a 46 for the rear of my bird, but didn't get the "B" version because with my gearing my bike won't do 180 mph. This is a non issue with me.

Do they have them listed seperately?

Someone posted a thread here talking about the (B) tire everyone went and looked to see if they had it or not :roll: Why? Cause no one knew they were making two different tires.

When I ordered my tires I was not asked regular, (B), or even if I wanna super size it for an extra $.75

Yes, I have seen them listed separately. The "B" version is about $20 more. They offer the "B" in 120/70/17 front and 180 and 190 rears. I'd rather have the standard tire over the "B" because of thicker tread and heavier carcas. Who really needs a tire that would handle 180 + speeds for extended periods of time anyway.

This has been the story all along. I had this conversation three years ago with both the US guy (can't remember his name) and Lionel in the UK who is one of the lead engineers.

I've run the "B" tire and I can tell you that it gave 30-40% less miles and less grip. It sucked.