CBR1100XX.org Forum

Getting some nasty headshake.

The Krypt Keeper

Did my ride of the Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend. Rode 750 miles total. But at almost half way I started to notice my front end shaking when going into the corners. :shock: I wasn't really pushing it too hard. I was nearly riding my rear tire to edge earlier in the ride but then she started shaking and would cause me to start backing out of the throttle. I got probably 1500 miles on my Avons 45/46's running 36F and 38R psi.

I had some head shake when I first got them put on cause they were balanced wrong. I had them redone and it went away. But now its back, and causing the bars to shake. Even when going straight they shake back and forth.

The tires aren't cupped, I am going to try checking my head bearings tomorrow and see.

Anyone else got this or got any other suggestions to check

Tire pressure.

Edited to add: Front pressure seems a bit low to me. I keep mine at 40, even in the twisties. I've seen the Avon's cup when running at 35. Adds a nasty shake in the coriners, ask Matt37 about it.

I've always run my Avon's @ 36F/38R, and have had no issue with shaking whatsoever.

Sounds to me like the front tire has gone bad on you - separated belt, etc. You didn't hit any potholes on the ride, did you? If so, it might be a bent rim, but that tire has caused you issues from the beginning, it sounds like.

FWIW, I don't like the feel of a tire @ the higher pressures. Makes the front end feel too stiff, and give that slide feeling when you're leaned hard.

:lol: damn northman I speak of you and you post faster than I can even hit the reply button...

They don't call me "lightning" for nothin', ya know :smokin:

BTW, any chassis mods? Raised back end, lowered forks, etc?

Put the bike on the center stand, and have someone sit on the passenger seat, keeping the front tire off the ground. Spin the tire, and check for runout of the tire and/or rim. If you can feel it riding slow, you should be able to see it.

Avon will replace it if it's bad, no questions. Just make sure it's the tire.

Will do that again.. I did that last time when I first have the balance problem.. :sad:

If this don't work I am going to contact Avon... will they give me any crap for running it at 36 psi? Or should I just tell them I had it at what they recommended

I know this may seem like a stupid suggestion on my part, but if the vibes started kind of suddenly, could the balance weight have come off during your ride? Just seems like the first thing to check.

I had my Oxford bags on the back of the bike with maybe 10 - 15 lbs worth of crap.

Wheel weights still on..

Just bothers me knowing I was busting ass up and down one mountain trying to break in my knee pucks and the bike felt great.. couple hundred miles later shes shaking like a crack head in need of a fix :evil:

Am I the only one who thought of a blowjob from a crack whore with Parkinson's when reading that subject line? Oh, I am. Nevermind.

Very strange; the load is pretty minimal, though if it's imbalanced it can do weird things. Have you changed your fork height? Shock/rear ride height?

Am I the only one who thought of a blowjob from a crack whore with Parkinson's when reading that subject line?  Oh, I am.  Nevermind.

No, but I TRY and reserve smart ass remarks for the Pub. :grin:

My first thought (which I think xrated said) was balancing since you previously had a balancing problem. Check and see if the rotors are still straight and not pulsing (warped) as well.

Checked the rotors also when did the run out on the tire.. plus my brakes feel great up front, no pulsing or anything.. The forks are sitting in the tubes clamped tight never been moved. No rear shock upgrade or changes yet.. might change rear suspension soon if I can convince the wife I need to :wink:

I did manage to finally get ahold of Avon today, Said they will replace it no problem. But he was trying to get me to replace the front 45 st with a 49 :???:

Other than the shape being different more pointy (quicker turn in) made of softer rubber (quicker wear) anyone think this is a dumb idea to miss match tire sets like this :?:

That's not a mismatch at all. Avon specifically makes all of the tires within a line compatible. I used to run the 39 front and 36 rear because the 35 front was horrible and the 40 rear wore out too fast.

I had that same combo, and it was great.

Might want to stick with the 46 rear, to gain some mileage, and adequate grip for most situations. The 50 will probably stick like glue, but wear out in 3K or less.

Seems I am not the only one with this problem.. just saw this on another site he rides a ST 1100

"@ 45mph +/-4, my front end shakes/wobbles pretty bad

because i feel the wobble at near full lean

i am not comfortable shredding my new Avons

above or below 45 the ride is smooth as usual.

the front tire is machine spin-balanced perfectly.

i have not checked the alignment on the rear.

what could be causing the problem?

could it be the unchecked rear?

bad steering head bearing?

do i need a fork brace?

what might it cost?

any advice?

i need to be informed in case i can't fix it myself ..."