CBR1100XX.org Forum

Majojr Service

jimmystartup

I want to perform a major service on my bike but don't have a good idea what should be done. I'm thinking all fluids, new brake pads and a thorough, plastic off cleaning. Does anyone have suggestions for other things I should be looking at? Mine is a '97 with 27,000 miles.

Heh, nice one.

Cleaning is generally detrimental to the bike, so don't do it unless there are chunks of mud or something like that. Cleaning leads to oxidation.

No need to replace brakes if they are good.

I would replace things like brake and clutch fluid every two years or so. Go with DOT 5.1; only a few bucks more, stays cleaner longer. Obviously all the usual stuff...have you been doing normal routine maintenance like plugs and air filter?

I bought the bike used and the previous owner (at 22,000) said he had replaced the plugs (and steering head bearings). I'm just a little obsessive and want to make sure everything is optimal. Plus, I like to get my hands dirty.

Plus, I like to get my hands dirty

You could always go for a long ride, come home and pull some weeds!

If that doesn't do it for you, then vigorously grasp your motorcycle's chain and run your hands back and forth! :lol::lol:

I would replace things like brake and clutch fluid every two years or so. Go with DOT 5.1; only a few bucks more, stays cleaner longer.

FWIW, I just did mine. Was going with 5.1 as usuall but the owner pointed out some Golden Spectro High Temp Synthetic DOT4. It's suppose to exceed the 5.1 standard to 186C. A little cheaper too. We'll see how it holds up. It's clear when new.