CBR1100XX.org Forum

Quick Brake Question

Dion

New front came in yesterday so tonight will be replacing that, fresh pads and replacing the organic with 5.1.

The bolt that holds the slave clevis to the left front caliper looks to be a torx style head. Is this correct or is this something special from Honda?

It's a special odd-sized Torx. A mid-size, like between 40 and 45 I think. I don't remember exactly, been a while. Might not even be the bolt you speak of, but there are one or two special-sized Torx bolts up there. I replaced them with stainless hex bolts long ago.

Why would you remove the caliper to put in new brake pads?

All you have to do is remove the flat head screw driver cap and an allen head bolt to slide the old pads out after you squeeze the calipers together to give you more clearance. Slide the new ones in the calipers and button everything up and ride her. (make sure to squeeze the brake lever to take up the slack between the pads and rotor before you move) Takes all of 20 minutes.

So you can clean and lube it as you should do regularly.

As well as this being a used bike I always rip them apart and check before I even consider starting to push