CBR1100XX.org Forum

Customer states that lawnmower won't start..

SR71BLACKBIRDXX

I pulled one apart that looked like that. I think it had sat for 10 years. Probably started out with a full tank of gas that slowly fed it and evaporated. Mower ran great for a long time after I got it going.

Few years ago, I scored a generator for $250, less than half the cost of a similar new one. Guy used it during one storm for a few days then it sat for 2 or 3 years. Just needed the carb cleaned.

Went to my local garden center that sells/services and could not get the bowl gasket, had to order online. He just replaces carbs. They are cheap compared to labor, so makes sense to not screw with them. I think only $70 or so

Two words: Fuel Stabilizer.

If you have a 2-stroke, use Opti-2 pre-mix oil. It already has fuel stabilizer in it. I have a Shindaiwa string trimmer that is 8 years old. Still starts as good as when new. A gallon of mixed gas lasts more than a year.

Of course, 10 years might be pushing it a little. :unsure:

Edited by jon haney

+1 on the stabilizer. I always add some any season I fill up the gas can for my equipment. The bike and car get some in the tank for winter.

If something has a petcock, I always shut it off and let the engine run until it dies when I am done.

Stuff like weedwacker, I will drain and run dry at end of season. The mower is not as easy to tip and drain, so I just try to start it up once or twice over the winter.

Have a few extra 5 gal jugs to keep on hand over winter for the generator. I will dump them into my truck now and refill next winter, or if we get a bad storm forecast over the summer.

+1 on the stabilizer. I always add some any season I fill up the gas can for my equipment. The bike and car get some in the tank for winter.

If something has a petcock, I always shut it off and let the engine run until it dies when I am done.

Stuff like weedwacker, I will drain and run dry at end of season. The mower is not as easy to tip and drain, so I just try to start it up once or twice over the winter.

Have a few extra 5 gal jugs to keep on hand over winter for the generator. I will dump them into my truck now and refill next winter, or if we get a bad storm forecast over the summer.

If your weedwacker is a 2-stroke, don't run it dry. Remember, the lubricant is in the fuel?

With fuel stabilizer, it is better to fill the tank full, and leave it that way all winter. Keeps humidity out of the tank, too. Also been doing this with 2 mowers and a generator for years. All still run well, with no surging. Of course, when leaving fuel in a small engine, it is best to use non-ethanol fuel.

Good point on the lube, but I note when they run out of fuel, they die pretty quick like hitting the kill switch, they don't really sputter along.

Would probably have to drive to KS to get non ethanol fuel. I think it's an emissions thing, just cant find it around here.

Good point on the lube, but I note when they run out of fuel, they die pretty quick like hitting the kill switch, they don't really sputter along.

Would probably have to drive to KS to get non ethanol fuel. I think it's an emissions thing, just cant find it around here.

A little scar on the cylinder wall isn't usually a problem, but they tend to get worse.

You can go to Pure-gas.org to find a station near you that sells non-ethanol gas, but wouldn't surprise me if there is none in MA.

They sell it in many NY gas stations. I have one 4 miles from me. :)