CBR1100XX.org Forum

one rider's fork conversion

ptxyz

i know, right?!

unless you got the donor parts for almost free, i think it makes more sense to upgrade the stock internals.

if anyone here has ridden all 3 (stock, modified and converted), i'd love to hear your opinions.

Springs, Gold valves, and oil in the forks of my 99 made a big difference.  Biggest thing with a conversion is adjustability and better brakes.  The bar position may not be to your liking, however.

3 hours ago, ptxyz said:

i know, right?!

unless you got the donor parts for almost free, i think it makes more sense to upgrade the stock internals.

if anyone here has ridden all 3 (stock, modified and converted), i'd love to hear your opinions.

I rode Jeff's (Byrdman) Busa converted XX years ago. Been long enough that I can't recall well enough to give an intelligent review, but it was a definite improvement. I also owned a ZX14 and I can tell you the Kawai bone stock front suspension was well ahead of my XX, which had been tweaked via oil and spring weight as well as fork height (I suppose the last isn't technically "suspension", but whatever...). Where the real everyday payoff probably is would be the brakes. Any modern setup (radial calipers and master) is going to blow the XX's 20 year old components out of the water in both feel and stopping power.

thanks for the insight.

y'know, brakes is one area i'm pretty content with on my bird.

i've been seeing this yoke setup on flea bay and think it would be the way to go if one had access to a cheap busa front end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Blackbird-Billet-Fork-Yoke-conversion-for-Hayabusa-TL1000-etc-forks-/331729784004?hash=item4d3ca2ccc4:g:fy8AAOSwbdpWaesD

If you really want better stopping on your bird, try and find a Brembo conversion. There's a guy in the uk who makes the brackets. I think the whole setup was about $500 with new lines and eBay calipers. 

Sorry crappy pic. 

image.jpeg

thanks for sharing that.  reminds me of the conversion i have on my klr to use an sv650 caliper with an ebc 320 mm rotor.

do you know what kind of metal the brembo caliper adapter's made of?

• 1 month later...

If you do the conversion look for a gen 2 front clip better brakes stock. Gen 1 can be made better with a radial master. Also the second gen is 3/8 of an inch shorter so you have to raise the tubes up to get a full perch with clip ons. The biggest hurdles are the ignition switch placement and upper bearing. I have worked up a kit for my son and mines BB's. It uses the stock busa lower and a billet upper. The hat is designed to use the Busa bars which with the heli's puts it 1/2 higher than stock. It will also take a standard dirt bike bar if you want by using bolt in saddles and your choice of bar. Or you can use aftermarket clipons. The hat is dropped to allow for either gen and a full clamp on the tube. It's also designed to use the factory BB bearings. The BB and the Busa use the same lower bearing size. My setup lets you keep the stock upper as well.

• 2 weeks later...