CBR1100XX.org Forum

Concours 14 TPS issuesI

TOXXIC

Concours 14 TPS......Lots of Connie owners on here.....I just put a rear tire on my Connie a few months ago, and now today I am getting a ton of warning lights and error messages. Do you guys solder in your own batteries or go to the stealer for a BOHICA? Pisses me off I have to pull the rear wheel again separate tire from rim and chase down batteries/connections. Assuming I should do the front at the same time.

Ben mentioned something about it costing more if you let the batteries completely die?

buddy is looking at a C14 and I also told him about organs ordeal.

He mentioned he went with an extended warranty and had them replaced.

Sucks you have to yank off the wheel and tire just to access these. Soldering in another set of batteries would be a easy fix.

I've got an original 2008 and still has original batteries in the sensors. When it gets cold the last couple of years they go wonky but come back once the tire heats up a bit. These people http://www.murphskits.com/ will solder them in if you need replacements I think cost was like $20. What did Ben go through with his? I must have missed that thread.

Edited by TPXX

The batteries in my 09 started to die last season... Pain in the ass with the warning popping up and blocking the display all the time. The dealer wouldn't replace them under warranty until they came on steadily, which they did this spring. Last spring my OEM warranty was ending, but I took the advice of everyone on the Connie board and bought the extended warranty online for $300 something. The TPMS batteries are covered under it. Back in May I took it in, showed them the "battery low" lights were on, and they replaced both for free under the extended Kawi warranty. Without the warranty it would have cost more than the cost of warranty! I also bought a new front PR4 for $10 more than the cheapest one I could find online and they installed it for me for $20, mounted and balanced.

Some folks have had ok experiences with taking apart their original TPMS sensors and soldering in new batteries, however newer models and replacement Kawi TPMS sensors have been changed, and I think this is tougher now. Check out the Connie boards, there may even be someone on there running a kitchen table service for putting in new batteries.

Another note on the extended warranty...as the original owner I can renew it at least one more time.... so for around $700 or so I'll have a bumper to bumper warranty on the bike for 9 years! Can't beat that with a stick.

The batteries in my 09 started to die last season... Pain in the ass with the warning popping up and blocking the display all the time. The dealer wouldn't replace them under warranty until they came on steadily, which they did this spring. Last spring my OEM warranty was ending, but I took the advice of everyone on the Connie board and bought the extended warranty online for $300 something. The TPMS batteries are covered under it.

FWIW, IIRC, if you bring an issue to a dealer's attention DURING the warranty period (save your documentation), it should be covered if it completely fails OUTSIDE of the warranty period.

That the light comes on at all is indication of failure. Choosing to NOT fix it until it's a permanent failure versus intermittent failure is the dealer's choice and it should not boot the issue outside of the warranty coverage. Your state may vary, but eligibility for warranty coverage should qualify based on when you gave the dealer/manufacturer notice of a problem, not when it suffers complete failure.

Edited by Aunt Sylvia

I don't know if all of them are like this, but why not make these things "serviceable" when the tire's removed for changing? You KNOW sooner or later they will need new batteries.

Seeing how my bike is out of warranty, looks like I will be doing this myself. Kind of surprised more people on here haven't done them their selves.

Thanks for the video link!

Yep - black tape over the warning light

That bright red warning light is super annoying when riding at night. Black tape it is until I can pull the wheels and have the tires separated from the rims.

A couple of things I've gleaned with a quick search.... the original batteries can be replaced if you're handy.

I'm not sure what year the newer TPMS modules came out, but they are potted, so it's a whole different ball game.

The other thing I heard is that there may be a 5 year warranty on the TPMS batteries, so you may want to check with Mother Kawi about that.

The other thing I heard is that there may be a 5 year warranty on the TPMS batteries, so you may want to check with Mother Kawi about that.

Thanks, my bike is an '08, so unless the prior owner replaced them in 2012, I am likely hosed.