CBR1100XX.org Forum

My search for stator and rectifier/regulator knowledge

XXitanium

...to know is already in another thread.

I just had a beer for breakfast. I'm going to a family get-together on my wife's side of the family later today. I have to go in to work tomorrow to catch up from my trip.

Sometimes it's not about the actual repair.

My family wanted to ride the bikes to the event today. I have some fixing to have enough for everyone.

post-1680-0-46856900-1377362540_thumb.jp

post-1680-0-66179700-1377362631_thumb.jp

Bring these forward.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=53455

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33318

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=81041

It is my understanding that a dying battery can take out a stator/regulator. Does anyone else know of this?

I've heard that, but I'm not sure why. The stator/rectifier produce more power than the bike needs and maintains a charge on the battery when running. I'm not sure being in constant "charge mode" hurts the system. It might be that a dead battery can be the result of a faulty stator/rectifier which can under/over-charge the battery and make it go prematurely. Hence why you test them every time you need to get a new battery.

I'm not sure if you really need "heavy duty" or just one that's well-made. Heavy duty could relate more to output than construction.

I got mine from Rick's and his stuff comes highly recommended.

I've heard that, but I'm not sure why. The stator/rectifier produce more power than the bike needs and maintains a charge on the battery when running. I'm not sure being in constant "charge mode" hurts the system. It might be that a dead battery can be the result of a faulty stator/rectifier which can under/over-charge the battery and make it go prematurely. Hence why you test them every time you need to get a new battery.

I have not usually checked those items. I will make a mental note though.

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/part/21-126/MDBIb25DQlIxMTAwWFg=

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com

http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/5716-why-do-stators-fail.html#post72170

They are in reality simple devices

the stator produces power.. faster your engine spins the more power it produces.

regulator does just that. it regulates that power so you don't send 40+ volts directly to your battery and electro system.

heavy duty i wouldn't worry about.. biggest ghost out of the box on a stator is the enamel coating on the copper wires or the epoxy breaking down from being in a constant bath of scalding hot as oil..

regulator also has heat going against it. and eventually will also fail from long exposure to heat.

Ricks is suppose to be some good stuff and has a warranty. I have also talked with a local company who said ricks is cheaper than them to rewind my stator. But, would be happy to show me how to do it, and let me rewind my own for free at their shop. Got 2 guys there that has been doing it for over 40 yrs combined.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The bird is pretty much maxed out on the stator. There are 2 design types Delta (ours) and y configuration. The Y configuration is what you will get with a high output version. Trade off is shorter lifespan. I worked with Rick a few years back when I was having short stator lifespans. 20K average. now my daily commute at that time was 90 miles to and from work. I live in AZ so the average temp was 100 degrees and I was routinely running in traffic for 11/2 hours on my run home in the heat of the day. At times ambient was 115. Well Rick informed me that given my environment 20k was pretty good. He took a stator and gave it good going over with his engineer friend. The conclusion, there is no way to increase windings for a higher load out put wire size and insulation thickness were the blocks. Stator core couldn't be improved for the same reason space constraints. So what we have is about the best you'll get. I would recommend going to a MOSFET R/R rick looked at it after I had mentioned and found it gave a 50 watt increase as well as being much more efficient and reliable. Hope this gives you better insight. Ohh also as mentioned these stators are oil cooled as well as the case being out in the open air. I make a point to always park my bird on the center stand. The side stand leans the bike over obviously but what many may not consider is that it also floods the stator housing with hot oil.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guesses? How long should it take to get a stator cover gasket?

All you can do is call your local Honda parts counter and see what they say. I've rarely waited more than a week to get a part because someone has it and it can be shipped right away.

Is "compuncted" a word?

I went and picked it up today. They diagnosed a bad stator and the diodes were OK on a static test, but couldn't diagnose a dynamic test w/out having the new stator installed.

It's a Rick's stator. I ordered an OEM gasket off flEabay.....

I have an early regulator in a box out in the garage - spare. Can they be re-wired?

Man, it was a fun ride home.

:)

I'm starting to put it back in. I think this may have been the factory stator.

There appears to be a stealth wire-tie below the tank that has a plug that pins into the frame. It looks like it's main purpose would be to keep wires out of the way while the bike was being assembled. That ook a little monkeying around. I had to take the tank loose.

The new stator came with the rubber grommet/seals on the wires for where they poke through the stator cover. It looks like (the factory?) had some silicone placed in with the old grommets. I noticed it when I was cleaning off the old gasket.

QUESTION: Do I need to put in some RTV sealant like was there?

I did. Caleb texted me. I had blue laying around.

I finished the stator install.

I don't seem to have a correct amount of fairing screws though. I'm looking at the left side.

I'll highlight the ones I think I have wrong.

Along the top row, I have two small ones and a large one.

There is a place for a small one at the bottom front that ties into the back-plane - gets a lot of mud kicked up on it. I have a small one there. I seem to remember taking a large one from below/behind the front wheel. I didn't look closely and I don't see how it would work either.

There is one through the flexible piece that sets behind your leg. That looks like it should be small. I have a large there.

There is one that goes below the stator cover. I have a large one there.

One of the large ones from stock has been replaced by a frame slider.

My maintenance manual isn't really specific on which ones go where.

Could someone confirm these for me please?

Thanks,

Bill

...from the other thread. I went past my mechanic. He threw a meter on it for free. It appears to be charging. He showed how the test goes.

You start the bike and the amps drop off as the battery starts to top off.

I took some pics. Is there a way to batch load?