CBR1100XX.org Forum

Workouts

I've been slacking again. I liked the shortness of the workouts on the 4 day schedule but for whatever reason I was not consistently hitting all 4 days. It also made mixing in cardio more challenging so I rehashed it into a 3 day routine. Now if I can just get/stay motivated.

Day 1 Sets/Reps

Front Squats 5 x 5 @ 7RM

Flat Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 7RM

Romanian deadlift 5 x 5 @ 7RM

Wide pull ups 5 x 5 @ 7RM

Day 2 Cardio

Day 3 Sets/Reps

Deadlift 5 x 5 @ 7RM

Military Press 4 x 8 @ 11RM

Rows 4 x 8 @ 11RM

Dip 4 x 8 @ 11RM

Day 4 Cardio

Day 5 Sets/Reps

Back Squats 3 x 12 @14RM

Incline Bench 3 x 12 @14RM

Power Clean 3 x 12 @14RM

Chin ups 3 x 12 @14RM

Lateral Raise 3 x 12 @14RM

Day 6 Cardio

What's your cardio routine?

I like being in the gym for a long time. Mentally it makes me feel like I am doing *more*. I know that it doesn't necessarily mean that...but mentally it makes me feel like I am dedicating more time to my health. I actually enjoy being there. I really don't have a busy life other than work...so I have the time.

That's a great routine and going to print it out and bring it to my trainer. I think I would descrease the reps and increase the sets. Or should that be reversed if doing light weight?

Thanks for posting.

Is it true....cardio keeps your metab. elevated for 24 hours and weight training keep it elevated for 72 ?

What concerns me right now...is it's winter. I am shut in...so being at the gym is a better place to be than home on the couch.

Summer time is going to be tough...but I hope I can substitute my long sessions of cardio with LONG walks through the neighborhood. I have pretty big hills...which is good. I just can't see myself dedicating this much indoor time after this horrible winter.

Thoughts on that?

What's your cardio routine?

It varies but recently I have been doing short HIIT sessions on the bike trainer. I warm up for a couple mins and then sprint ballls out for 30 sec, cruise for a min, sprint, cruise etc for 15-20 min. I have an iphone app called UltraTrainer that makes it completely mindless. It got buggy a release or so back though so sometimes the music volume level drops down. Very annoying. Sometimes I work on the heavy bag, sometimes I just do shadow boxing/jump rope/jumping jacks/run in place type of stuff. I try to keep it low impact though to keep my back from getting angry.

I am going to try to focus on the bike trainer for a while mixing in some steady state days with some HIIT days. Supposedly HIIT really raises your metabolism for hours after you do it but steady state vs HIIT is one of those things people will argue about until the end of time..

I like being in the gym for a long time. Mentally it makes me feel like I am doing *more*. I know that it doesn't necessarily mean that...but mentally it makes me feel like I am dedicating more time to my health. I actually enjoy being there. I really don't have a busy life other than work...so I have the time.

I have read that you should try to keep your workout to around an hour. Mine usually go 1 to 1.5 on lifting days if I don't stay really focused even longer. That doesn't mean I'm doing more. It just means I'm wasting more time than I need to due to lack of focus.

That's a great routine and going to print it out and bring it to my trainer. I think I would descrease the reps and increase the sets. Or should that be reversed if doing light weight?

Depends on your goals. If you decrease the reps you should increase the weight. If you are doing 3 rep sets that is pretty much a pure strength rep scheme and you should be lifting about as much as you can for 3 reps.

Chad Waterbury love recommending 10 sets of 3 for some things. You wouldnt want to do that for everything though or you would be in the gym forever and probably be burnt out.

The rep schemes I picked are generally considered the best for increasing muscle mass. 5x5 is more strength biased where the 3x12 is more towards endurance or at least at the top of the hypertrophy (increasing muscle size) range.

Sometimes you can really over think things when you should just get in there and lift heavy weights. Go with what your trainer says. He probably knows more about it than I do since he is a pro. Then again some of them can be idiots just like with anything else in life.

Is it true....cardio keeps your metab. elevated for 24 hours and weight training keep it elevated for 72 ?

Sounds right. I don't know the exact hours but when you lift heavy weights your body has to grow and repair muscle tissue which obviously is going to take longer than replenishing the glycogen your muscles burned off doing cardio.

What concerns me right now...is it's winter. I am shut in...so being at the gym is a better place to be than home on the couch.

Winter can suck my ass. Fuck winter.

Summer time is going to be tough...but I hope I can substitute my long sessions of cardio with LONG walks through the neighborhood. I have pretty big hills...which is good. I just can't see myself dedicating this much indoor time after this horrible winter.

Summer motivates me. I don't want to look like a giant turd when I take off my shirt to go swimming/to the beach/lake etc. Vain yes but whatever motivates us is usually good.

If you really want to make your heart explode do this workout. I have done it...hmm maybe I need to throw that in on cardio days now and then.

Cosgrove's Evil 8

"Complexes elevate metabolism beyond anything you've ever experienced before," says Alwyn Cosgrove.

Sounds good to us, but how much weight do you use? "Just remember," says Cosgrove, "it's a metabolic stimulus, not a strength or hypertrophy stimulus, so be conservative. MMA pro David Loiseau uses only 85-95 pounds when doing the complexes I prescribe for him."

That said, don't go too light, either. A good "Cosgrove rule of thumb" is that if you're not questioning why in the hell you're doing these exercises, or convincing yourself that two circuits is enough, you're not going heavy enough.

The basic rule is to use the heaviest weight you can on the weakest movement in the complex. For example, if the complex contains an overhead press and a back squat, you'd use the weight you can handle on the overhead press, not the squat. Otherwise you'd get crushed, and girls would laugh.

But honestly, loading doesn't matter much. If you're de-conditioned or you fall into that dreaded category of "big 'n strong but outta shape," then you'll be tortured with a naked Olympic bar... and maybe even a broomstick. You'll figure out loading anyway during your first complex workout, so don't think about it so damn much and just go do it.

Crazy idea, I know.

Here's one of the most effective Cosgrovian complexes:

Deadlift

Romanian Deadlift

Bentover Row

Power Clean

Front Squat

Push Press

Back Squat

Good Morning

On round one, perform 6 reps of each exercise, moving from one exercise to the next, never letting go of the bar, never resting. Remember, you'll finish all six reps of each exercise before moving to the next one.

Rest 90 seconds after the first circuit, then perform 5 reps of each in the next circuit; rest 90 seconds, 4 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, 3 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, 2 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, and then do 1 rep of each.

Cosgrove says that the entire workout should take about 12 minutes, not counting the time you spend sobbing like a little girl in a purdy pink dress.

Its very short but holy fuck...if you get the weight just right you will want to die.

Others can be found here:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_articl...redded_physique

• 1 year later...

I fell off my routine again a while back due to various reasons from knee pain to lack of motivation. The latter being the primary one.

I have been back on my lifting pretty good for the past 6 weeks. I made a few subtle changes. I am only doing squats once a week now to help with the knee pain. I also added in some glute bridges since I have a weak posterior chain and suffer from "white guy ass" which is to say I don't have one. I simplified a bit by just picking one set/rep scheme for all the days rather than playing with different set/rep for different days of the week. I may change that up again though but so far I like it. I also helps keep all my workouts about the same length.. As usual I have been floundering with my cardio though I am getting that on track now. I will probably just do various things for cardio like tabata, complexes, bag work and possibly some of the various dvds I have (p90x/insanity).

I am also going to start tracking my diet again. That seems to help a LOT. Its a huge PITA but it really helps keep me aware of what I'm eating. When I don't track its so easy to fall back into eating shit all the time. I have a pretty cool app/website called LoseIt. Check it out http:www.loseit.com

When summer gets here I will not look like a potato. I need to refine my goals and possibly add some more. I may post those here too. It would probably be a good way to help hold myself accountable.

Day 1

Morning: Bike trainer

Evening:

Glute Bridge 3 x 8

Flat Bench 3 x 8

Wide Pull Ups 3 x 8

Power Clean 3 x 8

Standing Calf Raise 3 x 8

Day 2

Morning: Bike Trainer

Evening:

Cardio/abs

Day 3

Evening:

Deadlift 3 x 5

Superset1

---Military Press 3 x 8

---Rows 3 x 8

Superset2

---Dip 3 x 8

---Dumbbell curl 3 x 8

Day 4 Cardio/abs

Day 5

Evening:

Squats 3 x 8

Superset1

---Incline Bench 3 x 8

---Chin ups 3 x 8

Superset2

---Reverse Dumbell Fly 3 x 8

---Tricep push down 3 x 8

I had a great first part of the year with running, the heavy bag, and MMA workouts but a trip to the octagon with an up and comer taught me how old I really am and it took a few months to recover from that. Then I tore the old meniscus in my right knee and that threw me off quite a bit. My weight was down to ~215, but the lack of exercise and additional 12 ounce curls has me back at ~220, but I did manage my diet pretty well, so it really is time to get back working out more.

I've had a couple of short runs (~2 miles) over the last couple of weeks and it appears I can do a little of that again but man did my calves forget how to run. :icon_doh:

Picked up P90X and am looking to give that a try, some of the core workouts look awesome. Some of the workouts look like they're for younger folks. :icon_doh:

Picked up Nike fitness for the 360/Kinect, that's going to be added in somewhere -- video games that make you move are finally getting good. The Fight, on PS3 w/ Move was good for many thousands of calories burned and sweaty workouts. I should probably dust that one off too.

I got some decent wrist wraps for hitting the heavy bag, I hope they will prevent further discomfort -- it was starting to get pretty tough to do much other than kick the bag with a few light jabs here and there.

My main focus this year is to make it something I do daily again but more fun. I always train more and longer when it is either to be in shape for something I enjoy or if the activity itself is fun. If I can do that and remain injury-free (or at least just minor ones for a change) then I'll be back rockin' and headed to my goal weight of being sub-200. So, for me, it starts by blocking 60 minutes a day and just using it for whatever workout I'm in the mood to do.

I've been back at it myself in the last few weeks. I hadn't touched the weights in over five months, and man, it goes away fast. My first session was truly pathetic, but on the upside it is coming back pretty quick. I guess "muscle memory" isn't just a cute buzz phrase. I also picked back up with the martial arts in December, another thing I've been terrible about in recent months.

The one thing I learned is once I stop, it's really hard to get motivated again. Next year I'm going to find the time and energy to at least maintain over the summer so I don't have a hill to climb in the fall/winter.

The one fly in my ointment is both of my wrists are going to shit and may require surgery. That's absolute last resort, but it's looking less and less avoidable as time moves on. Dean, whatever you have going on with yours, tread lightly. There's a tipping point where they simply don't come back anymore- punching shit doesn't help. :icon_razz:

If you haven't already try getting some wrist wraps. I have some I use for when my wrists get sore. Occasionally my right one gets wonky since its the one I sort of blew up in a bike crash.

I am about back to where I was when I quit with my lifting. Its frustrating but I only have myself to blame.

If you aren't taking creatine get some. Pure creatine. I take the micronized german stuff. Its cheap. I just toss it in my shakes. It will make a difference. Don't get the premixed kool aid crap.

I wear gloves with wrist straps when I'm lifting, but the lifting isn't really the problem. In the same spot on both wrists I get this little catch/click and when it happens it's like someone stuck a knife in there. It's totally unpredictable and has nothing to do with load- it can happen when I'm taking the cap of a milk jug or brushing my teeth and I occasionally drop shit because of it. A brief hit of intense pain, and then it's gone. The orthopedic guy isn't sure what's wrong even after an MRI, but it's happening more and more.

Creatine- yes. :icon_biggrin:

I wear gloves with wrist straps when I'm lifting, but the lifting isn't really the problem. In the same spot on both wrists I get this little catch/click and when it happens it's like someone stuck a knife in there. It's totally unpredictable and has nothing to do with load- it can happen when I'm taking the cap of a milk jug or brushing my teeth and I occasionally drop shit because of it. A brief hit of intense pain, and then it's gone. The orthopedic guy isn't sure what's wrong even after an MRI, but it's happening more and more.

Creatine- yes. :icon_biggrin:

I used to wear gloves with wrist straps on them too. I wore out several pair before I finally just gave up on them. If yours are like mine the wrist straps sucks. They don't provide support worth a shit. The plain ol wraps give a LOT more support.

weightglove-s.jpg

wristwrap-s.jpg

Dean, whatever you have going on with yours, tread lightly. There's a tipping point where they simply don't come back anymore- punching shit doesn't help. :icon_razz:
Yeah, I damaged them pretty badly as a gymnast, left plenty of calcium deposits in there for cushioning. Now, however, the bones in my hands seem to get bruised from hitting the bag so I got some wrist wraps (similar to what Brett posted) for inside of boxing gloves and will use the 16 ounce gel padded gloves after I give it a few more weeks to heal up. I'm hoping that between the two changes that I'll still be able to take my stress out on the bag and wear myself out in 5-3 minute rounds. (30 second breaks in between)

I like the workout because it was really starting to build nice tone in my upper body and there is a strong core component to it -- especially when you mix kicks and punches 6-8 strikes long. Do the 1-2-3-4 punching, throw front snap, roundhouse, other front snap, then back to the start. Or just mix it up with random combos that seem to flow together. It's a good mental/physical workout and complete distraction and exhaustion is what I'm after.

I really liked the CrossFit workout too -- that left me winded and sore all over for days. I just hate joining gyms/clubs due to my ever challenging schedule, it is best for me to be able to work out at home.

wristwrap-s.jpg

I like the looks of that, but can you still wear gloves? I used to work out bare handed all the time, but now that I'm used to gloves it just feels weird.

Yeah, I damaged them pretty badly as a gymnast, left plenty of calcium deposits in there for cushioning. Now, however, the bones in my hands seem to get bruised from hitting the bag so I got some wrist wraps (similar to what Brett posted) for inside of boxing gloves and will use the 16 ounce gel padded gloves after I give it a few more weeks to heal up. I'm hoping that between the two changes that I'll still be able to take my stress out on the bag and wear myself out in 5-3 minute rounds. (30 second breaks in between)

I like the workout because it was really starting to build nice tone in my upper body and there is a strong core component to it -- especially when you mix kicks and punches 6-8 strikes long. Do the 1-2-3-4 punching, throw front snap, roundhouse, other front snap, then back to the start. Or just mix it up with random combos that seem to flow together. It's a good mental/physical workout and complete distraction and exhaustion is what I'm after.

I really liked the CrossFit workout too -- that left me winded and sore all over for days. I just hate joining gyms/clubs due to my ever challenging schedule, it is best for me to be able to work out at home.

I need to get my bag set back up. That and a bike (a real bike, like, outside) are the only kind of cardio I can ever get myself to do. Not doing much biking lately, so... :icon_redface:

Seriously, the cardio and core workout is one of the main reasons I stuck with martial arts. I suck at self motivation on both of those even when I'm all in the zone. A 9th degree black belt screaming at me seems to do the trick every time, though.

I did buy some shorter gloves that work with them but I quit wearing them prob over a year ago. My hands were all caloused anyway. I use chalk for chins, deads etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I got lazy and somewhat injured and gained about 20 lbs last year. Weighed in after Christmas and hit an all time high score of 216. Fak... I should weigh 190-195. I also am dealing with chronic non-allergic rhinitis and a nasty condition called recurrent corneal erosions. I've had some nagging tendonitis too. These are all inflammatory conditions to some degree. I'm thinking there is some underlying common theme here, and likely its diet related.

All this motivated me to make a drastic diet change and get my ass back into shape. For about 14 days now - no bread, no processed sugars, no dairy. Very little wheat at all. 60 minute workouts 6 days a week. I'm burned out on P90X so I'm mixing a little of that with some of my wife's Jillian DVDs, treadmill, and dumbells. I'm down nearly 8 lbs already.

I've added a crap load of sinus and eye health supplements too. One of the major components is an anti-inflammatory Omega-3 + vitamin D. I've been on that for over 30 days and it seems to have really helped my tendonitis and also my typical winter dry skin.

Since I changed careers about four months ago, I realized how quickly I can get out of shape. I used to deliver bottle water. I guess throwing 120-180 fourty pound bottles of water a day does keep you in shape. I had gotten so weak, I could barely do 10 push ups.

Planet Fitness had a deal for $10 a month. No contract. I decided to give it a try. I am really liking it so far. They have a 30 minute circuit that I have been doing. One day on one day off. It has a machine for most all muscle groups with a cardio step in between each machine. By the time I am at about station 12 out of 20, I have a pretty good sweat going and the heart rate is up.

I am planning on going to the following schedule now that I am getting used to it.

Circuit training

Day off

Free weights upper body

Day off

Elliptical for cardio

Day off

Circuit training

Day off

Free weights lower body

Day off

Repeat.

Not looking to get huge, just toned and stronger. Time will tell how long I can keep my motivation up.

• 1 year later...

Wow this forum is dead.

I just realized I hadn't even posted about my previous routine that I did for a good part of last summer. Oh well I may come back to it sooner or later anyway.

Current status: I'm FINALLY back on track. I had been hitting it hard last summer and was progressing fairly well and then I just fell off hard. I literally did not workout for several months. Over the holiday season I did my best to ensure that I looked like a sock full of oatmeal for the summer. As of today I am 5 weeks in other than missing one workout due to royally fucking up my shoulder. I thought I tore something but apparently was just impinged. Had my first cortisone shot and a few days off and I'm good.

Current routine is more or less one I posted earlier in this thread.

Day 1 AM: Row or Bike - 15m intervals

Abs

Day 1 PM
Front Squats 5 x 5 @ 7RM
Flat Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 7RM
Romanian deadlift 5 x 5 @ 7RM
Wide pull ups 5 x 5 @ 7RM

Day 2 AM: Row or Bike - 15m intervals

Abs

Day 2 PM - Cardio

Day 3 AM: Row or Bike - 15m intervals

Abs
Day 3 PM
Deadlift 4 x 5 @ 7RM
Military Press 4 x 8 @ 11RM
Rows 4 x 8 @ 11RM
Dip 4 x 8 @ 11RM

Day 4 AM: Row or Bike - 15m intervals

Abs
Day 4 PM: Cardio

Day 5 AM: Row or Bike - 15m intervals

Abs
Day 5
Back Squats 3 x 12 @14RM
Incline Bench 3 x 12 @14RM
Chin ups 3 x 12 @14RM
Lateral Raise 3 x 12 @14RM

• 1 month later...

I always swear I'm going to post something in here and never get to it. I'm finishing up one 10wk cycle, starting another so I may as well post SOMETHING.

This is basically computed off the percentages off your everyday max lift, so your numbers will keep your training all sub-maximal. Accessory lifts will be whatever you choose: Choose wisely

*Week 1*

HEAVY DEADLIFT DAY

Warmup to working weight...

Deadlift 5 sets of 2 @ 80%

2" block pulls 2 sets of 3 @ 85%

2" deficit pulls 2 sets of 5 @ 75%

Pendlay rows 3 sets of 10

Pull ups (palms in) 3 sets of 10

REP BENCH DAY

Flat Bench 3 sets of 10 @ 70%

Close grip bench 2 sets of 8 @ 75%

1" paused bench 3 sets of 10 @ 65%

Dips 3 sets of 10

Overhead press 3 sets of 10

EXPLOSIVE SQUAT DAY

Squat 3 sets of 8 @ 65%

Front squat 2 sets of 5 @ 70%

Paused squats 3 sets of 8 @ 60%

Leg curls 3 sets of 15

Calves 3 sets of 15

*Week 2*

EXPLOSIVE DEADLIFT DAY

Deadlift 8 sets of 3 @ 65%

2" block pulls 2 sets of 5 @ 70%

2" deficit pulls 3 sets of 8 @ 60%

HEAVY BENCH DAY

Flat Bench 5 sets of 2 @ 80%

Close grip bench 2 sets of 3 @ 85%

1" paused bench 2 sets of 6 @ 75%

Dips 3 sets of 10

REP SQUAT DAY

Squat 3 sets of 12 @ 65%

Front squat 2 sets of 8 @ 75%

Paused squats 3 sets of 12 @ 60%

Leg curls 3 sets of 15

Calves 3 sets of 15

*Week 3*

REP DEADLIFT DAY

Deadlift 3 sets of 12 @ 70%

2" block pulls 2 sets of 8 @ 75%

2" deficit pulls 3 sets of 12 @ 65%

EXPLOSIVE BENCH DAY

Flat Bench 8 sets of 3 @ 65%

Close grip bench 2 sets of 5 @ 70%

1" paused bench 3 sets of 8 @ 60%

Dips 3 sets of 10

HEAVY SQUAT DAY

Squat 5 sets of 2 @ 80%

Front squat 2 sets of 3 @ 85%

Paused squats 2 sets of 6 @ 75%

Leg curls 3 sets of 15

Calves 3 sets of 15

Weeks 4-6, you basically repeat those 3, but you increment the percentages by 5%. Weeks 7-10, there are some subtle changes like rep ranges and movement focus and week 10 is a de-loading week, assuming you were going to a weight lifting competition that following Saturday. Since there's NO WAY I can compete in my weight class yet, I just take the deload and do a test day and use the new 1rm for my percentages.

It looks complicated at first glance, but once you've done all the math it's deceptively simple.

OH, and I have this in excel because I'm too lazy to do the math over and over so if someone wants this in a spreadsheet, drop me a line.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My workouts are very simple and effective.

Only 3 sets per exercise and 2 exercises per group.

Day 1:

Chest

Back

Day 2:

Legs

shoulders

Day 3:

Arms

Conditioning

• 2 months later...

I was bored/burnt out with my usual programs so for the past 6 weeks or so I was doing the Madcow 5x5. Its a super simple strength program and it really didn't seem like I was doing enough work but I felt good and my lifts kept going up.

In a nutshell you do:

Mon (5 x 5) Squat, Bench, Row
Wed (4x5) Squat, Bench, Deadlift

Fri (4x5, 1x3, 1x8) Squat, Bench, Row

Super simple. I have a spreadsheet I downloaded from stronglifts.com and populated and printed.

Very short but good workouts.

I took the week of MotoGP Indy off and now am jumping back into one of my old routines that I added some isolation stuff back into.

Here is my current:

Day 1 Sets/Reps Rest
Squats 5 x 5 @ 7RM 50 sec.
Flat Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 7RM 50 sec.
Romanian deadlift 5 x 5 @ 7RM 50 sec.
Wide pull ups 5 x 5 @ 7RM 50 sec.
Tri press 5 x 8 @ 8RM

Day 3 Sets/Reps Rest
Deadlift 4 x 5 @ 7RM 60 sec.
Military Press 4 x 8 @ 11RM 60 sec.
Rows 4 x 8 @ 11RM 60 sec.
Dip 4 x 8 @ 11RM 60 sec.
Barbell curl 4 x 8 @ 8RM 60 sec.

Day 5 Sets/Reps Rest
Back Squats 3 x 12 @14RM 70 sec.
Incline Bench 3 x 12 @14RM 70 sec.
Chin ups 3 x 12 @14RM 70 sec.
Lateral Raise 3 x 12 @14RM 70 sec.
Calf Raise 3 x 12 @14RM

I have RM (rep max) values listed but they are very approximate and I don't keep that close of a handle on my rest periods. I usually do around 60 sec. Its just already filled in on the spread sheet I'm using.

Ill do this for 6 weeks and if I'm making good progress and still liking it I'll go for 6 more.

Seems like that plan's a good mix of strength and hypertrophy, as well as being balanced. You're hitting the big stuff AND the associated accessories, no room for time wasters.

I might give it a try here in a couple weeks once my current cycle is over. My program has me peaking so often it's wearing me out. I think it was designed around... "chemically assisted" lifters.

That was my goal. Hit multiple strength properties but bias toward hypertrophy and all big bang for your buck lifts. Just finished week one and I feel good though I tried something a bit different and did less warm up and then ramped up to my max on the last set. Typically I would warm up and then do some low rep sets to get up to my working weight and do all of the sets at that weight.

• 3 weeks later...

...4 weeks in and 9 workouts later (missed week two, but really needed to)- had to start waking up the beach muscles for Mexico in October and cruise in Feb. Mainly using a variation of a workout that I've had success with in the past. I've been slowly working into this with the intent of avoiding injury. Also, I've made it a priority to include cardio each of the days because I'm an out of shape fat-ass.

Tues- Shoulders and Chest

15 mins cardio (bike or treadmill)

2x10 Military Press/Dumbbell Press, Dumbbell Raises (front) Dumbbell Raises (side)

2x10 Dumbbell Rows (individual), Lat Pulls, Lat Rows

Wed- Legs and Biceps

2x10 Leg Press, Calf Raises, Leg Extensions

2x10 Hammer Curls, Focused Dumbbell Curls, Preacher Curls

Thurs- Chest and Triceps

2x10 Dumbbell Bench, Chest Press, Dumbbell Flys

2x10 Overhead Tricept Extensions, Bench Tricep Pullovers, Tricep Pulldowns

Just this week, I added a third set of 6 to all lifts. Hoping to move to 3x10 next week. By week six, I hope to incorporate a 4th lift for each major muscle group. I anticipate my 45 minute workout to extend to well past an hour in the next coming weeks.

Feel pretty good so far. Recovery time is coming faster. Had my heart rate to 169 yesterday on the bike. No significant weight loss or strength increases, but don't expect much change until around week 8. I'll check back in at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

That was my goal. Hit multiple strength properties but bias toward hypertrophy and all big bang for your buck lifts. Just finished week one and I feel good though I tried something a bit different and did less warm up and then ramped up to my max on the last set. Typically I would warm up and then do some low rep sets to get up to my working weight and do all of the sets at that weight.

Studies have shown that too much warming up and stretching decreases lifts. Get your joints used to some pressure and hit the weight.

Studies have shown that too much warming up and stretching decreases lifts. Get your joints used to some pressure and hit the weight.

I guess it depends what your goals are. If you're pushing weight to tone up, then you're probably on a nautilus machine anyway and the principles don't matter. If you're actually trying to gain then you have to be exactly that scientific about it.

The more weight you lift, the more warmup you're going to need; same if you're getting some mileage on you. Anymore, I have to start with a nearly empty bar and work up. You'll know what I mean when you do 3 top sets and they're still getting easier.

On a proper peaking cycle, you'll actually do what they call "over-warmup". Bench example, 5x135, 4x185, 3x225. 2x225, 1x315, 1x365, then your working at at 315 for 7-12 reps.

It was told to me once, that "I started getting stronger when I stopped listening to 'scientists' and started listening to people stronger than me". You can google Over Warm-Up and you'll see articles by Charles Poliquin, Paul Carter, and others that can explain it a LOT better than I can.

My warm ups are pretty brief. I typically do some running in place, jumping jacks, air squats etc just to get my muscles moving and slightly warmed up. Then I do some quick light stretching because I have heard the same thing. Too much stretching pre lifting can hurt your lifts.

Typically I would do something like:

A set of just the bar to be sure I have everything set up right and get a bit extra warm up.

A light set like 5 x 135 or so. Then I would do weight acclimation sets of a couple reps just to work up to my working weight.

Then I would rack off 5 sets of 5 (or whatever set/rep scheme I'm using) at my working weight.

Lately Ive just been doing something like:

5-10 reps of bar

5 x 135

5 x 165

5 x 195

5 x 215

5 x 230

I am doing overall less volume/tonnage but I feel better and still manage to kick my own ass pretty good. And my lifts have been going up. Soon I will be stronger than all but the mightiest 12 year old girls.