CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tyres once again

rockmeupto125

I just ordered a pair of tires. Took me some to decide, but I went with a Power front, and a Power 2CT rear vs. the M3 front, Z6 rear combo I was considering. I also went with a 190/55/17 to see what effect that has on steering. There's plenty enough clearance for a larger tire on the 14.

Not fucking cheap, though. $320 for the pair from swmoto. Oh, and you'll have to wait a month for a ride report :icon_lol:

What prompted that decision? Personal decision, or drawn on specific information?

Following Rick on his Mille. The powers definitely put down some rubber when ridden aggressively. I've had issues with front end grip on both the XX and now the 14, so hoping to find a tire that helps with that.

Heard plenty of great reviews about the Powers, but the life is short, so hoping the 2CT helps with that, as well.

My understanding is that the 2CT is softer in the sides than the standard Power, but that both have similar compounds near the center.

If that's the case & you're pushing the front end, you may want to try the 2CT up front.

I've been impressed with the Pilot Power. 3500 miles on my current rear and it looks to have plenty left. I'm actually hoping for around 5k, which is far better than I've ever done with an SS tire. Grip and handling is what you'd expect from this type of tire (sorry, tyre).

If the 2CT handles and sticks anywhere near as well, I'm thinking it's the tire to have, as the extended life would more than cover the higher purchase price.

edited by redbird- just read Troy's post. If the 2CTs are as he says, I may just stick with the PPs.

I also went with a 190/55/17 to see what effect that has on steering. There's plenty enough clearance for a larger tire on the 14.

Cuz that worked so well the last time you tried it. :icon_twisted:

Its a bit foggy but I think it went something like this.

<Somewhere in Arizona>

Me: (following you) Wow...Chris is touching metal somewhere...shooting sparks all over the place. I'll tell him when we stop.

You: (later) Dude...I touched my header.

Can't remember your exact comments about the 190 you had on the XX but I don't think they were positive.

BTW I just mounted (ok Jim did the actual work) a set of M3's front and rear. I wanted the PR2 but was tired of waiting for them to be in stock and didnt want to pay the outrageous prices for them. I thought about the M3/Z6 rear combo but I really don't like the way the Z6 looks with essentially no tread in the center. As of yet I've put about 200 yards on them so no comment on how they handle.

I also went with a 190/55/17 to see what effect that has on steering. There's plenty enough clearance for a larger tire on the 14.

Hey, wait a second, there's not a 190 on your bike now, or are you just talking about going taller with the 55 aspect ratio?

<Somewhere in Arizona>

Me: (following you) Wow...Chris is touching metal somewhere...shooting sparks all over the place. I'll tell him when we stop.

Can't remember your exact comments about the 190 you had on the XX but I don't think they were positive.

That was when he put the 190 on a 5.5 rim, IIRC. Bad idea. :icon_lol:

Hey, wait a second, there's not a 190 on your bike now, or are you just talking about going taller with the 55 aspect ratio?

Right. I'm stepping up the aspect ratio. There is a 190/50/17 on there now

<Somewhere in Arizona>

That was when he put the 190 on a 5.5 rim, IIRC. Bad idea. :icon_lol:

Right on both counts :icon_lol:

That tire was great for the first day, very good for the second, and by the fourth was completely fucked with a very weird transition from semi-leaned to leaned hard. When Brett was following me, I had almost lost the bike, had to get out of the throttle, and that's when the header touched down. I remember both he & Jeff impressed with the spark show, though :icon_biggrin:

Jerry's comment: "Dude, Arizona. What were you thinking?" :icon_redface:

My understanding is that the 2CT is softer in the sides than the standard Power, but that both have similar compounds near the center.

If that's the case & you're pushing the front end, you may want to try the 2CT up front.

Maybe I should have read more about them before I bought them :icon_wall:

Anybody know a phone # for swmoto? I don't see shit on their site, and wonder if I can change my order...

I think you may find the 2CT's wear out very quick as from what I have been told they are designed more for lighter sportsbikes and the extra weight of the XX will wear them a lot quicker :icon_think: .

I have a std PPf and a PR2r on at the moment and so far they feel real good, I have had the PPf and PRr combo before and that was really good (13000km front/10000km rear) and had a PR2 on the rear until recently when I picked up a nail @ 6500km :icon_wall:

There are a few guys here in Aus that run PP f+r but usually tear up the rears quite quick in the twisty stuff :icon_think:

The PPf + PR/PR2r combo is quite popular and there are quite a few that are liking the PR2 f+r :icon_surprised: and some of them are guys that run the twisty stuff hard and have previously shredded PP rears in under 3000km :icon_eek: AND hated the old PR f+r :icon_think:

I went through a set of Powers on the 750 in just under 4000 miles. Of course there are curves around here. :icon_whistle:

I have a set of Pirelli Diablo Corsas ( Pre- DC3s) that I had on the track bike for about 8 track days, I like them as well.

I've been running Pilot Powers on my XX and I like them. I get about 3k miles on a rear, but I tend to ride a little aggressively. The PP's give good grip and handling, so I don't mind replacing the rear every once in a while.

I think you may find the 2CT's wear out very quick as from what I have been told they are designed more for lighter sportsbikes and the extra weight of the XX will wear them a lot quicker :icon_think: .

+1

A week ago,I was told by the stealer they were not for use on the XX. He read this right out of his michelin tire book. The bike is to heavy.

YEEEEEE HAWWWWWW here we go.....................

- If you have lots of money run.......... M-1 or M-3's F/R

- If you don't have lots of money run... M-1/M-3 Fnt/ M-6 Rear.

I just scored a set of Pilot Powers for $240 done.

I have heard so much good stuff on them I thought I would give them a try.