CBR1100XX.org Forum

oops...a lil oil change help, please...

v00d00child

So this was the weekend I finally got around to changing the oil in both the XX and the trans am. Thought I had everything done, and was emptying the dirty oil into a receptacle, when I noticed a metal washer in the bottom of the drain pan. Rather than play synthetic oil roulette and take a guess, can anyone tell my if the XX using a rather thick metallic washer on the oil drain plug???

TIA

I've done the same thing as you. Once I lost the washer in the oil an didn't notice I had no issues without it I just put it back on next oil change.

Just make sure your not dripping oil from the drain plug, I cleaned the area with WD40 and kept a eye on it but never lost a drop.

Thanks for the help/info guys.

When finesse & dexterity are required (like when removing a drain plug, trying to get a missing washer on it, and reinserted before the bike bleeds out...), I'm Edward SkilletHands, so think I'll walk your path & just keep an eye on her.

Preesh!

I've done the same thing as you. Once I lost the washer in the oil an didn't notice I had no issues without it I just put it back on next oil change.

Just make sure your not dripping oil from the drain plug, I cleaned the area with WD40 and kept a eye on it but never lost a drop.

You can buy these same washers from the Honda auto dealer and they are cheaper than the Honda cycle dealer. I have a 2002 Civic and the crush washers are identical!!

You can also buy them at any auto parts store. 14mm is the size IIRC and they are aluminium. A 4 pack is around 2 bucks.

So now there are at least 2 of you ot there not even running a washer.

Sorta makes the topic a while back of changing out the washer or not every oil change worthless.

Honda has it there for a reason. The threads are not tapered, like in pipe threads which makes the seal. The sealing is the head of the steel drain plug and the aluminium oil pan surface. Not sure they want the steel plug mashing up the oil pan to create that seal, therefore the aluminium crush washer (gasket).

I replace mine every 2-3 oil changes or when the washer drops into the drain oil. I do the same with my truck and SUV. They're cheap and easy to get, so why not <shrug>

I used to change the washer every time I did it.

I have been using the same washer for probably 6-7 changes, still no leaks.