CBR1100XX.org Forum

Curry: It's not just for breakfast any more

SwampNut

Breaking my 24 hour fast with this.  I can't take credit for the recipe, it was on the WFPB subreddit.  Everyone seems to love it.  Basically butter chicken, minus butter and chicken.  The coconut and tahini or other nut butter makes up for the creaminess.  I will probably add a blob of coconut sour cream on top.  I'm making lime rice with it (use the juice of two limes in place of equivalent broth, for two person serving).

1 onion and some garlic sautéed on their own, set aside.
1 can chickpeas added to sauce at the end

Sauce:
1 TBSP curry powder or garam masala
2 teaspoons  ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup nut butter, such as tahini (I may use less)
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tablespoon low sodium tamari or soy sauce

Simmer all of the above for a while, you could do a short time, but I'd shoot for over half an hour.  Add the can of garbanzos and heat, probably 5-10 minutes.

Serve on rice rice with cilantro.  I made basmati rice with two limes substituting part of the broth, a bit of saffron, and potassium chloride.

Adding potatoes to this would be great, and that will be added next time.  It also would fix the fact that this is extra saucy; the potatoes will thicken it.  Or add porcini powder.

This was really great, Moriah absolutely loved it.  I ended up with a full large can of coconut after all, so editing it again with my "live" changes as I watched the consistency develop.