CBR1100XX.org Forum

Onions as a lard/cream substitute

SwampNut

I don't really recall exactly how I came up with this, but I've been doing it for years with refried beans.  It makes them have the texture of larded beans without making them trash.  More recently, I've used the same method to make creamy sauces for gnocchi (which if bought carefully, can be real food too) and similar things.  

The trick is to use a lot, since they will reduce in volume by a lot, and cook them for a very long time, covered.  Basically you want to steam them, not brown them.  I start with medium-high heat, and as soon as they start to slightly color, turn it way down.  I usually add a little bit of water.  Cover and let them steam, stirring every 7-10 minutes or so (I don't really time it, just occasionally).

You want basic (not sweet) yellow or white onions.  Yellow is best.  Don't try reds, it's easy to make them bitter by cooking them.  It works with sweet yellows but the flavor seems off to me, too sweet.  I cut them and then use a press-type dicer/cutter to make very small pieces, so they cook really well.  You could do it with a knife and more time.

From there, I may mash them into beans, or use a blender to make a really creamy sauce.  It's flexible.  The end result is actually light in onion flavor even when you use a lot.

I use this, and highly recommend it for all veggie dicing needs:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764HS4SL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1