CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery Upgrade

sriddy

Steve,

I've replaced a lot of motorcycle batteries in my time. None have come close to giving me the service life of a "YUASA" brand battery. My worst experience....Interstate batteries.

RTG

When I bought my bird used 4 years ago, the OEM battery had already been replaced with an Interstate battery. So far, it has given me no problems in four years of use. Battery life is pretty much a crap shoot. The killers are heat and vibration. Sealed batteries are a big improvement over the old units.

OK, checked out the YUASA site and here's what I found:

The battery for the '97 'bird (mine) is 1.2 amps and 180 cold crank amps

The battery for a new 'bird is only 1.1 amps and 210 cca. (similar dimensions) There were some others at 240 cca for other bikes.

So, what's better, amps or cca as far as starting the 'bird on those cold days when she's a little cranky? What would I gain by going with a more powerful battery (assuming it still fits...)?

Oh yeah, good advise on the tender. I got one after reading about them here last month.

Steve

Peter,

I wasn't aware that Yuasa made the Honda Batteries, very interesting. I just bought my bike brand new 3 months ago and noticed that it already does not seem to hold much charge. Dies after about the 3rd stop/start errand, will drain the battery to the point of not starting up if I am testing an electrical item for 3 minutes or longer with the ignition on and the engine off.

This was the first bike I bought brand new. I wondered if the batteries are left out of the bike when in the showroom and the dealer installed whatever battery they had in the back when prepping it.

Might have a bum battery there.

I'd go back to the dealer, and have it replaced under warranty.

I only ever killed my battery once, and it was my own fault. Left the key on all day, so killed it flat.

That was almost 2 years ago, and haven't had a problem since.

As for battery output, CCA is what starts your bike in the morning. The 1 or 1.2 amp is the draw rating. In other words, that is the amount of draw you can safely pull for a given amount of time, and still have enough juice to start the bike.

I'd buy a battery based on CCA, if I had a choice.

As far as I know, ALL bikes come from the factory with a Yuasa. At least the big 4.

You might want to check the chargeing system also. The regulator/rectifyier is known to go out on this bike.

Only 1 of 3 known problems on this bike. :bike:

I can't speak for other dealers, but when we get our bikes in and uncrated, they go on the showroom floor without a battery, oil, gas, etc. When the bike is purchased, the battery is filled with acid (unless it is a sealed battery of course) and it is put on a charger while the bike is being prepped. I can't imagine why a new battery would be dying, unless it is defective (shorted plates internally, manufact. defect, ect.) from day one. I go back to the dealer and have it replaced under warranty.

Did a bit of investigating reporting a while ago and this is my take on what I found:

Here's a link to buy online at a discounted price (follow the link that's in the link)

http://socalsportbikes.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=5514

CBR1100XX 1997 - 2000: YTX12-BS

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.asp?...ID=B11&vID=1766

CBR1100XX 2001-2003: YTZ12S

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.asp?...D=B178&vID=1765

Here's info on the various specs on the batteries (two different links telling you the same thing, but, informative)

http://www.batteryweb.com/motorcyclemf12VYbattinfo.cfm

http://www.batteriesplus.com/Product/champmtrcyc.html

If you'll notice for the '97-00, the YTX14-BS is the same as the YTX12-BS except slightly taller which fits fine in my bike and provides a bump in CCA and amp hours. I believe that there's the 16 which might fit, too. Because of availability I went with a Sears DieHard part # 44017, which is made by Yuasa and is the YTX14-BS part equivalent.

:smokin:

Wasn't aware of the regulator/rectifier problem. Bought a motorcycle battery charger for that issue. Figured if it was just the battery, I would live with it unless it gets any worse.

However, with the regulator/rectifier possibility, I will be taking it to the dealer. Now all I need to to do is try and part with it for a few days. :sad:

What are the other two known problems?

The cam chain tensioner and tires. :bike:

I had a problem with the cam chain tensioner on my '87 Hurrucane 1000 also. After 20k, the cam chain sounded like a worn-out pinball machine.

Some things never change.

Thanks, Pete.

When I overbored and put in high compression pistons in my FJ1100, the stock battery was having difficulty spinning the starter. I put in a slightly larger gel battery. It has been in for 5 years- the last 2 years [since I bought the XX], I haven't been starting the bike much [maybe 4 times a year]. Each time, the gel battery spins the starter and the bike starts. When my XX battery finally goes, I will get a gel for it too.

Tim

• 1 year later...