CBR1100XX.org Forum

Non Aqueous Radiator Fluid Installed Today

RXX

I just finished the installation of Evans NPG+R coolant in my 'bird.

First off: there are ample threads covering pros of this stuff. I am sold on it. I do not think anyone on the board has had a negative experience with it. After talking to the guys at Evans, I stuck with the +R. He said it was still in testing to receive the "lifetime" imprimatur. He stood firm with the recommendation to use this product in motorcycles so I am not looking back.

I unzipped the bike completely to do this and some other stuff. I used warchild's "Blowjob" method throughout, which made it a pretty nasty affair, so I took it outside.

Drain

fill with distilled water, crank up and run to fan cut on

cool off and

drain

Fill with radiator flush and water, crank up and run to fan on plus 10 minutes

cool off and

drain

Fill with distilled water, crank up and run to fan on

cool off and

drain

Fill with prep fluid (probably some sort of hygroscopic fluid), crank up and run to fan on and

drain

Finally put in +R

Fuck I hope it is lifetime

The one problem I have had is I really can't see where the "low" and "high" marks are on the reservoir.

Any suggestions?

The one problem I have had is I really can't see where the "low" and "high" marks are on the reservoir.

Any suggestions?

I made a dipstick with a coat hanger. Or have an assistant shine a flashlight down the opening while you view the marks from the other side.

The reason he stood firm in using the +R stuff in motorcycles is, most people don't ride their motorcycles below 40 degrees... If you ride below freezing, that's bad.

Mike

...................NPG-R does not freeze or boil-over. In cold temperatures (down to -1OF°) NPG-R will not freeze and expand like conventional water-based antifreezes potentially cracking the engine block. In contrast NPG-R contracts into thick slurry - never becoming a solid. With a boiling point of 400°F at 7psi, NPG-R will never boil-over because it immediately condenses back to a liquid within the cylinder head coolant jacket, maintaining a liquid contact on all metal surfaces at all times.

As with NPG........................................................

Looks like a 50 degree difference in specifications between you guys. I do ride in below freezing weather and have been down to 22 degrees. That still leaves me 32 degrees of safety. Man, -10F is COLD!!!!

Looks like a 50 degree difference in specifications between you guys. I do ride in below freezing weather and have been down to 22 degrees. That still leaves me 32 degrees of safety. Man, -10F is COLD!!!!

pssssssssssssst, R gets thicker and thicker as it gets colder. So even if it doesn't freeze solid at -10F, at +20F it's still going to be pretty damn thick.

That was the reason, Mike, myself, and most other guys use the +.

From their FAQ, as I pasted in the other thread...

Question: Which coolant is the correct coolant for off road motorcycle and ATV use?

Answer: NPG+ or NPGR are the only 2 recommended waterless coolant for these applications. NPG+ can be used year round and is suggested for bikes and ATV either used or stored in cold weather areas. NPGR offers excellent heat protection in high temperature use - and is designed for seasonally use only.

Question: NPG has the lowest freezing point of all the coolants, why can't I use NPG in extreme cold?

Answer: The coldest suggested operating range for each coolant is:

NPG: -79° F freeze protection, +32° F coldest suggested operating temperature. NPG is the thickest of Evans Waterless Coolants and requires modifications for use in lower temperature ranges.

NPG+: -40° F freeze protection, -20° F to -30° F coldest suggested operating temperature with proper warm up or block heater. NPG+ is a year-round coolant and the only coolant for diesel engines.

NPGR: -10° F freeze protection, +32° F coldest suggested operating temperature. NPGR was originally developed for racing only and is NOT suggested for cold weather operation. NPGR can also be used on the street in copper brass radiators due to the lowest viscosity.

Mike