CBR1100XX.org Forum

Electrical help needed..

John01XX

Met up with Adam, beondwacko, yesterday morning and ride down to Homestead Motor Speedway to watch the CCS Motorcycle Races and also meet Mike, Chaserkeywest. Fun excursion!

Went to fire the Bird up and it was completely dead !! A first for me.

Jumped, off my Truck and She fired right up but the Bel RX65 radar detector was flashing "High Voltage" so looked at my taillights and they were flashing also !!! Adam figured the regulator/rectifier was going out so we shut it down immediately to prevent cooking the battery.

What is the best way to test ? I will be bringing home a voltmeter from work tomorrow but I am not sure what and where to take readings and what I am looking for. Read right off the battery ?

Any help is appreciated.

By the way I did make it to Homestead but I rode the MZ660 Super Motard instead. About 60 miles each way. Can you say Monkey Butt !!

John, just check your voltage at the battery. That will tell you where else you need to test. If its too high, you need a regulator. If its too low, you have other testing to do.

It would help if you had a full charge on your battery first.

I thought the BEL had a numerical readout, not just a warning signal?

John, just check your voltage at the battery. That will tell you where else you need to test. If its too high, you need a regulator. If its too low, you have other testing to do.

It would help if you had a full charge on your battery first.

I thought the BEL had a numerical readout, not just a warning signal?

:icon_biggrin: Thanks Joe :icon_biggrin:

I just knew you'd appreciate that.

LOL caught me completely off guard !

I apprecaiate knowing who I am getting advice from and yours would always be unquestioned.

Ordered a Regulator from Directline this morning. Will check to be sure that is the problem and will keep it as a spare if needed.

OK here is the latest........more help needed.

After leaving the battery on trickle charge for 13 hours now I measured the voltage and it reads 5.5volts with the key turned off. The charger has an LED light that says "charged" when it is on slow trickle and another LED that says "charging" when charging up. The "Charged" LED is lit but the battery says it has only 5.5volts ! I figure the battery is dead.

I have a regulator on order that will be here Friday hopefully, from Honda.

Can someone tell me off the top of their head what the Champion or Yuase(sp?) battery replacement part number is for a 2001 Bird ?

Gonna run out and buy one tonight if possible and check it tomorrow after trickle charging again all night .

Thanks

John

OK here is the latest........more help needed.

After leaving the battery on trickle charge for 13 hours now I measured the voltage and it reads 5.5volts with the key turned off. The charger has an LED light that says "charged" when it is on slow trickle and another LED that says "charging" when charging up. The "Charged" LED is lit but the battery says it has only 5.5volts ! I figure the battery is dead.

I have a regulator on order that will be here Friday hopefully, from Honda.

Can someone tell me off the top of their head what the Champion or Yuase(sp?) battery replacement part number is for a 2001 Bird ?

Gonna run out and buy one tonight if possible and check it tomorrow after trickle charging again all night .

Thanks

John

You have a redbird!!?? :icon_drool: I don't know why I thought you had an '03 sparkle bird.... hum..

The Yusa Battery Type: YTZ12S

Yusa lists the YTX12-BS for '97-00 and the YTZ12S for '01-04

No idea what the difference is though....

EDIT:(had to learn for my own edification)

Battery Family: YTZ Factory Activated, Maintenance Free

Battery Type: YTZ12S

Voltage: 12

Capacity: 11

Dimensions: 6" x 3 7/16" x 4 3/8"

Weight: 8.1 lbs.

Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 110mm

Metric Weight: 3.7 kg

Polarity:

Acid Volume: N/A

Amps: 1.1

C.C.A.: 210