CBR1100XX.org Forum

Few airbox questions

The Krypt Keeper

I wanted to check my plugs since I am about due. I ordered some this evening for $8.00 each :wink: and was curious on a couple things.

Why are the velocity stacks different heights? I only figured because of the shape the airbox itself. stacks 1 and 4 would need to be lower to allow the same amount of air into them as 2, and 3 sitting nice and pretty in the wide open middle of the box.

The ram air tubes aren't really snug fitted together. :???: If you were too put some RTV around them make a tighter seal would it be easier to pressurize your airbox, maybe making a few more ponies in the lower RPM range?

Also Honda put so much thought into their airfilter.. would a K&N be better when I go to dyno tune or stay with Honda filters.. I have heard both sides argue this about them.. Just wanna know results other bird owners have had. This is my only thing I own that doesn't have a K&N in it yet.

thanks for all the input..

Dave

The ram air tubes aren't really snug fitted together. If you were too put some RTV around them make a tighter seal would it be easier to pressurize your airbox, maybe making a few more ponies in the lower RPM range?

That's what I'm planning on doing on re-assembly. This would help ensure that any ram air effect stays in the airbox, but you'll only see a possible performance gain at very high speeds (150+).

If your XX is FI equipped, go ahead with the K&N, but don't expect much or any performance gain, at least when both filters are new. Be careful to not over-oil the filter, either.

Cool deal appreicate the info :wink:

I was curious how I am suppose to get a good seal with ramair and get the airbox pressurized they just pop right out and didn't have a very snug fit..

Might see about getting a K&N filter soon than.. if anything it will save me a trip to the stealers when a paper filter would need to be changed.. already have the cleaning kit and oil for all my other K&N filters :wink:

I read that the air box on a bird actually builds more pressure than atmospheric at as low as 90 MPH. From there it keeps climbing up to 28mb over atmospheric pressure at top speed :shock: . Sealing the ram air tubes should be worth a little more pressure at as little as 100mph. I have sealed up the 2 water drain holes and disconnected the PAIR valve. Both these should increase the pressure slightly. Next time I have the tank up, I'm going to silicone the ram air tubes to the airbox. It will be completely sealed.