CBR1100XX.org Forum

Balancer shaft or engine hanger??

control1

Good day all,

I am back on the road again but for how long I don't know. I'm not sure, but I think that when I put my baby back together I didn't get the rear balancer shaft in time with the rest of the gears :oops: . How much damage can I inflict if I don't get that shaft in time?? I was kinda hoping that one of my engine hangers was not torqued right or was loose, but I thought I checked it and double checked it, I may have even tripple checked it.. I now have a vibration that was not there before, and I am hearing those damn marbles in the engine which sound like valves but I believe it to be a CCT. :evil:

I had to replace 3rd and 4th gears in the tranny, and when I put the halves back together, I lined up the mark on the balancer with the mark on the case all the while making sure my timing marks on the crank and cams were on also. Go figure. I am not 100% sure that was the right mark and not a mark on the end of the shaft as illustrated in the shop manual. But I do not remember seeing (in the manual) the marks that I actually aligned.

Did you go through the adjustment procedure for the external adjusters?

If you have (and I doubt that would have much effect on the overall counterbalancing ability of the balancers), then it sounds like the balancers are out of time.

Sorry to confirm what you suspected, but it sounds like that to me. :???:

I've not yet looked the procedure over, but since I'm nearing a teardown, reading about this makes me nervous.

Is there any reason the engine could not be run out of the bike? Is this a hard thing to get timed properly?

- J.

It is like Elixxer said just taking the time to make sure everything is in time and lined up, makes all the difference. A second set of eyeballs is not a bad idea either. BTW guys, the external adjustments is to adjust the backlash of the gears and it doesn't take much, each indicator has marks that are only one or two degrees apart. Since I didn't get everything in time I will be removing the engine tonight prob. :mad: :sad: :cry:

J,

As far as running the engine out of the bike you would have to have some sort of fixture to mount it in, with a fuel cell and then it would still be difficult to tell if she's right (for instance your balancers are out of time.) Exxcellent idea though, might have to look into that.

Good luck J, it sucks when you think it is right and you get it all back together and it is not.