CBR1100XX.org Forum

On start momentary clanking sounds

gcp

Guys, when being cranked cold my BB makes some of the loudest clanking sounds I've ever heard emanating from a bike's engine. Smoothes right out but is this normal? It has semisynthetic oil in it.

Thanks, and BTW I installed a new CCT which smoothed out the other noices.

Does is sound like a bunch of marbles in the case rolling around. If it does my guess would be the CCT.

Time to change to an X-11 CCT.

Ken

It's the clutch. Don't worry.

it's the clutch plates rattling around and normal on a big bike

Well, at least it's normal on the Black Bird. Peeps, I'll bet your TL never did this, I know mine doesn't.

Y'all crack me up!!! My Bandit is running right when the valves are happily cllicking and clacking away... If it get quiet... you get worried... VERY WORRIED! Then consider the mechanical noises generated by my old Ducati 900SS... Valves a clackin'... And the sweet sound of that dry clutch!!! People thing that the bike's about to grenade itself!!! :shock: Can't forget the Micron cans either... On the pipe, the Duc could put most H-Ds to shame... And the Duc actually generates power with the noise...

After all that, when I hop on the XX, it's the sounds of silence... Kinda like I've broken the sound barrier! :grin:

• 4 weeks later...
Y'all crack me up!!! My Bandit is running right when the valves are happily cllicking and clacking away... If it get quiet... you get worried... VERY WORRIED! Then consider the mechanical noises generated by my old Ducati 900SS... Valves a clackin'... And the sweet sound of that dry clutch!!! People thing that the bike's about to grenade itself!!! :shock: Can't forget the Micron cans either... On the pipe, the Duc could put most H-Ds to shame... And the Duc actually generates power with the noise...

After all that, when I hop on the XX, it's the sounds of silence... Kinda like I've broken the sound barrier! :grin:

LOL, tell me about the bandit! after the first valve adjustment where ALL the valves were too tight, I couldn't undersetand where all the tapping was coming from! Had to redo the valves just to be sure it was set right! :shock:

but my xx does make the starting noise too and I was really worried... so you're saying that if I hold the clutch in and then start it, noises will go away?