CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake bolt replacement and Typo in service/parts fiche?

Suf Daddy

Just put a new tire on the 97 and the Service manual says to replace the left front pivot bolt for the caliper assembly and the two caliper to fork bolts.

Reuse the axle pinch, axel and other bolts / fasteners........................

So I look on Ronayers.com and the Fiche I got a print out from.

In the service manual 13 - 10 shows bolts which turn out to be 6mm hex heads that hold the reflector and secondary master cylinder on. (picture 2nd down from top)

According to Ron Ayers.com and the fiche (Grid 1-E13) the pivot bolt is a Bolt socket flange 8 x 48(mm?) same for all years

Qty: 1 Part # 90132 - mz2 - 000 H/C 4162390

Now the bolt looks like mine but mine measures 45mm from thread tip to flange.

BELOW THIS they list #23 (bolt facing caliper itself) & covered by Ron Ayers.com logo, as Bolt socket flange 8 x 45(mm?) same for all years

Qty: 3 Part # 90135 - maj - 641 H/C 41980744.......these seem to match the caliper body B on page 15-28 second photo down in the service manual.

These look like piston caliper bolts, but the length looks right for my (pivot bolt) application as fiche specs...........

IS this a typo on the bolt & its mm lenght?

The price for the #21 caliper / reflector hex head bolts and the simialr size but allen socket head for the right caliper bracket to fork are the same price.

Left is #21 Bolt socket flange 8 x 32(mm) same for all years

Qty: 1 Part # 90107 - mt3 - 003 H/C 3487790.

IS THE QUANTITY A TYPO TOO? there are 2 each side (left and right)identical to each other. All referred to in the service manual as "bolts"

Left is round head w/ allen key/hex socket 6mm

and right is 12mm heads in 6 point socket shape.

Thanks for looking into this for me.........

-Suf Daddy

Do the new ones have the locking compound already on them?  

Yep. Same thing with the rotor bolts, I ran into this when I did all the powder coating. Loc-tite it yourself and don't worry about it.

The Honda recommendation to replace them probably originates with some kind of liability concern. I would just take note of what hardware was removed from where, clean it and reinstall with a little loc-tite on the threads. Torque to specs, and go ride.