CBR1100XX.org Forum

changing the air filter

the douglas cowboys

hi everybody (as Dr. Nick says)

i'm sitting at work at the moment so i could probably figure this out myself but i'm going to change the air filter over the weekend. i assume that that's a pretty easy job but i am curious about how easy the tank comes off.

is there a tap on the fuel line? i've only ever raised the tank to install a scottoiler so i need advice on taking the thing off. i don't want a 'bike in bits, can't get it to the shop' situation!

thanks

p.s. this might have come up before but i just don't know about it as i've only just registered.

If you're doing it in a garage, just get the front of the tank in the air and let it hang from the rafters. Just raise it up enough to get your hands in there to work. I just cleaned my K&N the other week. It works fine that way.

i think it'd be possible without removing any fuel lines. take off your seat, pull the side covers out where they clip into the tank, remove the two bolts on the rear of the tank and then yank the tank back outta the mounting point in the headstock. you will then be able to lift the front and access the airbox...with the tank propped up CAREFULLY you will probably have enuf room to get in there with a stubby screwdriver.

this only applies to FI birds, no idea about carbed ones.

I would also make sure you have a towel or somthing to set the tank on. This procedure is on the main site. It even has pictures. :wink:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/faq/maint_plug-filter.htm

Carb'ed birds are easy. They have two fuel lines, a vent line the fuel gage wire and a vacuum line to remove, then the tank pops right out. Prop the back of the tank up to remove the connections. (there are provisions on the tank and the frame for a prop. I use an old wrench from a Yamaha tool kit that fit's just perfect) Take special note of exactly where on the petcock assembly the vacuum line goes. There is a false connection point on the petcock assembly. If you hook the vacuum line there, your engine will only run until the float bowls empty out.

and the air filter replacement..........

The site link has photos, but the key to the tank operation isn't clear to see from the photo unless you've removed the tank before, then its like wow easy.

The rubber wheels slide down and straight backwards to get out of the notch (groove) so that you can tip the tank back on the seat area (you removed the seat first remember?) and access the filter, carbs and plugs.

Or you can have a second set of hands hold the tank up and work underneath.

PM me for the photos.

-Suf Daddy