CBR1100XX.org Forum

engine trouble

frustyd

hello everyone,

I purchased a 97 blackbird in December. The first time I rode the bike, it seemed to do well in 1st and 2nd gears. Then when you hit 3rd gear, the bike would go up to around 70mph then jerk in and out like it was waiting for something to kick in. Then when you shift into 4th, 5th, or 6th it would reach about 55mph even with the throttle wide open it also jerked in and out in these gears as well. It seems like it goes well, then once it hits a certain point it is trying to get the boost it needs but it just isn't there The honda service guy told me he thought it was the carbs. I had the carbs rebuilt and the problem is still occurring. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. I'm going to check the plugs and see what that does but I'm out of ideas. If anyone has experienced something like this or has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks

My vote is for fuel filter.

Higher gears cause higher loads, which requires higher fuel volumes.

A partially blocked fuel filter (or line) will seem fine in the first few gears, but become more prominent in the higher gears as the fuel bowls start to empty.

Let us know how you make out.

Besides what was already covered my only idea is we need more info, esp. mileage.

Is the chain worn or slack ? is the front sprocket worn down to nothing so the chain skips teeth?

Also check the vac. petcock for vac. leaks and enough fuel flow.

thanks for all the advice, i'll check into your tips and then let you guys know what the problem is.

more info.....the bike only has 4700 miles on it and it sat for about 5 or 6 months. I'm not sure about the chain or anything skipping.....

I met a guy at the Honda shop who had a 97XX like mine. His was acting quite similar. They eventually disassembled the carbs and found that one of the diaphragms were torn. Evidently when it was rejetted they weren't too careful in the re-assembly. Replaced the diaphragm and it ran great!!!

Just a thought.

Yes, you said the carbs were rebuilt, do you trust who did it?

I agree with the diaphragm, diagnosis. If one is hanging up it will slow the whole engine down.

I know I will catch hell for this but it is a great diagnostic trick. Take tank and air box off. Locate the black tube that came off the air box housing and goes between #2 and #3 carb. about the diameter of a quarter. Blow in this and it will cause the slides to rise. Check that they all rise and fall evenly. This will show if any slides are sticking or if any diaphgrams are torn or installed incorrectly.

Now here comes the flak, now donning flak vest.