CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front suspension questions

Hookman49

Ok, I have a couple of questions. If I was going to update my front suspension what would you recommend? I have a 97 XX and weigh 190 lbs. Any ideas on approx cost? Is it easy or hard to do yourself? Or should I just save up some money and take it somewhere to have done?

Thanks guys,

Ken

There are three things wrong with the stock forks.

1. Undersprung

2. To much compression damping

3. To much stiction

You can change the fork springs to 1.0 for your weight, and having the correct spring rate will help, but that will make an already harsh suspension feel even more harsh over sharp bumps.

From there, you will find the fork experts go in two different directions.

Lindeman Engineering, Stig Peterson (PPS) and Dan Kyle will work to lower stiction (low drag seals and bushings and polishing the fork tubes.) They usually rework the holes in the pistons to flow a little more oil, but only to about the size of the ports in a set of Ohlins forks. Then they modify the shim stack for correct damping.

Race Tech and Traxxion believe in replacing the pistons with their own versions (Gold Valve) that have huge ports. They then use shims to adjust the damping.

All of the rebuilders also supply the correct weight of fork oil for your application.

Prices can vary from around $300-$600 for a total rework.(including springs)

You can buy the kits from Race Tech or Traxxion, and do them yourself, or have a local shop perform the work. Race Tech has a list of rebuilders that they have authorized. There may be one in your area.

i replaced the front springs with 1.05's and adjusted the preload appropriately for my 205 pounds.

$99 and 30 minutes = HUGE difference :grin:

I went with 1.05 springs and spaced them for static sag, and changed to 5WT fork oil. The front still sucks, but it sucks a lot less than it used to.

How does one up the rear shock preload and how does that help the suspension? I am also not happy with the harshness when going over bumps and would love to enhance things if possible without spending the big bucks for aftermarket parts.

On the front, is there a procedure or more detail that would explain the PVC spacer fix?

Thanks,

gcp