CBR1100XX.org Forum

On clutch operation

gcp

Is it me guys or is the BB not as smooth when it comes to shifting its gears? I don't seem to be able to shift it as well as I do all my other bikes and I feel a jump/surge out of it like one does kicking a gear in without use of a clutch, all though not as pronounced.

My clutch has 26K miles on it so is there an adjustment possibly to take care of this problem? There's no slipping what so ever on the clutch but there is noise reduction when I pull the clutch lever in vs. when lever is not pulled back.

Thanks,

gcp

I also noticed the same thing, my BB is smooth shifting beyond 6K RPM but not below, especially around 4K.

The throttle cable was the first thing I thought off too Pete and I adjusted it but it did not improve matters. It's the nature of things wit the BB I guess and I am glad it's not just mine.

BTW my other bikes are large also, a Yamaha Royal Star, a Yamaha GTS and a Honda VTR all grace my stable and they all shift smoother than my BB but can they go as fast? :lol: Heck no!

I've got to admit that my VTR is probably my very favorite, if I had to pick a favorite, but I enjoy all my bikes, for different reasons of course.

Thanks for the help,

gcp

PS. Yes I changed fluids right after I bought the bike

When the bike is cold there is considerably more noise from the cluthc plates than when it is warm. If I start it cold and release the clutch you can really hear what is going on down there. At first I worried but now that I've listened to other Birds I realize I'm just hyper-sensitive to noise eminating from my XX.

Well folks, the higher RPM gear shifting definitely smoothes out the operation, seems to be the only thing that works!

Wonder if the 16 tooth front sprocket I am getting ready to install will exacerbate this issue.

Thanks,

gcp

Ah the GTS, what a great bike Yamaha produced and so ahead of its time. Mine is the 93 red, fast model :grin: ! Best word that describes it is SOLID, especially for 2 up cross country trips and I can pack quite a lot in my large Krauser bags. When compared with the BB it's under powered but it's still highly torqued even though Yamaha chose to detune its FZR engine for added releability. ABS, EFI and that RAAD front end makes you feel like you are riding on rails. 60-0 MPH in under 83 feet which makes it "still" the quickest stopping vehicle out there and even though heavy feeling in parking lot speeds it corners extremely well while performing some spirited riding, especially with the Diablos I recently put on it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course but in my eyes it's still one of the best looking bikes out there, and not dated at all! I get more positive comments on it than any of my other bikes.

But I also LOVE my VTR, just got back from a very spirited ride in the N.GA mountains and as you can see I am still greening about it :) That bike fits me to a T and unlike with the BB I don't get tired on it no matter how far I ride.

In all fairness my BB is a new acquisition so I'd like to reserve my comments since I'm still learning it and fine tuning it specifically for me. It came with the double bubble screen and GenMars but this set up doesn't seem to fit my body (5'11.5" and 192 lbs). I get the wind blast right in the middle of my chest and my hands tire easily, any suggestions?

Thanks,

gcp

Here's some pics of all my babies:

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0703/Ge...ge/Motorcycles/