CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pair valve?

demon

Does anybody know when the pair valve actually opens? Is it at high RPM or does it open at cruise speed?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking about running my crankcase breather to the pair valve to pull a lower pressure in the crankcase and to not rerun any blowby that is there. If the valve isn't open when I need it to be, I was going to put in a "T" to run the breather tube to the reed valves in the head. I'm leaving the reeds in in case of a backfire to act as a one way valve.

This mod will seal up the airbox so that all the air that enters the box will go down the throttle bodies without any "dirty air" mixed in with it and no pressure loss down the Pair Valve. Hopefully this will be worth a couple free HP and a little better throttle responce :cool:

Any thoughts?

I tried it on my turbo XX and didn't like it. I thought it screwed up the idle.

Now to be fair my fuel reg wasn't exactly right so it could have had an impact also.

I finally opted for removal and sealing up the holes.

I had a local machine shop turn me some rod that was EXACTLY .365" I then cut it down to the same length as the hollow tubes between the head and the valve cover of the pair system, took the tubes out and installed the plugs.

I also removed all the reeds ect. ground off the hoses barbs on the covers and plugged the holes with two hex bolts.

The ones on the left are the solid plugs the ones on the right are the hollow stock tubes.

PAIR01.jpg

It was easy to do and it got rid of that damn clicking rattling noise.

I think the shorter tubes on the turbo header cause quicker pulses that slam the reed valves closed. They open when their cylinder dumps exhaust and are slammed shut by the next cylinder dumping exhaust.

Just a guess really as I don't know for sure, but it don't rattle no more.

:)

Sorry I forgot to add I think the PAIR system sucks air even at idle.

Pull the intake hose off and crank it up, you'll probably feel vacuum if you put your finger on the hose. I did.

I put a metal plate between the reed valve and the cover and sealed it to the cover. I removed the hoses and plugged the air box, but left the valve in place to keep the the FI light from coming on. Can I splice the wires together at the valve to remove the valve all together and not mess up anything?