CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain & front sprocket replacement

gcp

Guys, as I said before my chain and sprockets have 26K on them and still look good. The chain does have a couple of tight spots but is not stretched much since it shows in the middle of the green.

But I would like to buy now and be done with it so is the ZVM 110 link the chain I need for my 1997 BB? Also, should I go to a JT 16 tooth front sprocket? How much RPM increase will be experienced at lets say 70MPH? And is it going to be noisier than the OEM part?

Thanks,

gcp

I see 17 views but no answers to my questions, please respond experts as I'd like to order in the am.

Are there any of you out there that are running the 16 tooth sprocket?

Thanks,

gcp

I'm no expert but I'll fill you in.

Yes, that is the chain you want.

Yes, you hear more chain noise. (in the form of a whine)

It's up to you if you do it or not. If I recall the RPM increase is about 500 or so at 70 MPH.

The bike will accelerate harder obviously but you'll lose the top end. If you travel over 150 a lot you may want to consider keeping the stock gearing. I did not notice a big change in MPG.

unless you're at a track with a noise restriction, I wouldn't worry about the added noise from going to an aftermarket sprocket. I changed mine out, and didn't notice anything appreciable. Swampie is referring to the rubber dampeners on the stock sprocket and no I didn't put a noise metre on it before and after. I like the 16 front for second gear wheelies and a little bored of the straight ahead mach 3 speed the bird's capable of. It still goes plenty fast. Never paid any attention to gas mileage.

I run the 16 on the front. I'll not go back to the 17. You'll get used to the whine and the increase in acceleration is worth it. Even with the 16 tooth front, the bird will still hit 170 on the GPS, or so I've read in previous posts. That's fast enough for me. In fact I'm going 1 up on the back to compliment the 1 down of the front. Just a little more grunt.

With a 16 tooth is it harder to keep the front wheel on the ground on 1st & 2nd, and especially when riding 2 up? That's a concern for me since my wife rides with me quite a lot and I don't need scares at this stage of my life.

Thanks,

gcp

Demon, you talked me into it, I ordered the ZVM chain and the JT 16 tooth front sprocket, hope I like it. How's the throttle response, is it touchier and more difficult to control in acceleration/deceleration and/or quick shifting?

Thanks,

gcp

The throttle response is just as before the swap. You'll have a little more power in all gears but it is the most noticeable in the lower gears. When you gear a bike down, you are actually increasing the torque in each gear. 1 down in the front gears the bike down about 6%. This will increase the torque output accordingly. It's a lot of fun :lol: Just got my 46 tooth rear last night and will probably put it on this evening. I'm setting the bike up for drag racing and don't care that much about top speed or fuel mileage.

I've had the 16t for a year now, and it's fun... front tire skips along the ground easily under moderate acceleration in first gear. i didn't notice any change in noise at all...

And like involute said, I think I went from ~4400 rpm to ~5000 rpm at Interstate speed.