CBR1100XX.org Forum

Use Of '99 ECM on a '02 Bird

mrbrd2u

Urgent Q. - My bud put a '99 ECM on his '02, but now the FI light blinks constantly. Also, the Radiator fan doesn't come on even at 237 deg. - What's goin' on? Does the ECM have anything to do with the fan relay? Which ECMs are interchangeable with other Bird years? HELP!?

TIA for responses!

MrBrd2U

You need to peruse the sticky above titled "not automatic, but...". If you have broadband and some diskspace, you should download it and refer specifically to pages 550 and 551. My 'bird is a '99, so I don't follow much on the updates since, but it appears the wiring did change after the '99 model year, and it sounds to me like all your friend's troubles could be attributable to the ECU pinout.

The 99 model has a Baro sensor that all other year fuel injected birds did not have. I believe the temp sensor changed as well. The pinouts are different on the newer style computers. Unless your friend wants to change some sensors and some wiring, I'd go back with the newer style 02 and up computer.