CBR1100XX.org Forum

Speedo recal.

pace

I have the Magellan Meridian Platinum. Similar spec to the Etrex Vista 'cept it has an internal 3-axis compass in addition to the satellite compass, but conversely it's a bit more unwieldy. These are both fairly high end handheld GPS', but don't offer the route-finding features of the mobile GPS' like the Street Pilot.

-Pace

[Edit] Correction.

Buddy gave me his GPS to play with for the week. These things are addictive! Thing reads in feet till the first 1/10th of a mile :shock:

Preliminary findings, ODO reads high 2% SPEEDO reads high 8%, stock gearing.

Going to "run it up a little higher" and see if the percentage rate gets worse today.

Buddy gave me his GPS to play with for the week.  These things are addictive!

Watch out, GPS's can also make a quick dent in your wallet the more you play with them. I'm already looking at a color screen version (read: dropping hints to wife that I "need" this).

You odometer/speedometer readings sound about the norm.

Ran the speeds up a little more, couldn't top out too much traffic. :cry:

Here's what I got.

40=37.5 on gps

60=55.7

80=73.7

100=92.8

155=143

As you can see it remains an almost perfect 8%. I figure the 1 mph difference is me trying to keep the speed constant till everything evens out.

I was expecting a increase in the percentage at the upper end.

Going to find a long quiet stretch of road to top her out next. :twisted:

Pete,

Are you going to buy a speedo recalibrator or just deal with it? Since it will more than likeley change my odometer readings and I use the GPS anyway, I'm less inclined to spend the money on a recalibrator now.

I'm thinking more about the recalibrator, not sure yet.

If I do the 8%, the odo. will be reading 6% low. Less gas mileage, tire mileage, don't know when to change oil, etc.

I think I'll leave it alone. Just good to know now and didn't even have to buy a GPS. $$$$$$$ :grin:

If I do the 8%, the odo. will be reading 6% low. Less gas mileage, tire mileage,

Gas mileage and tire mileage won't change at all due to adding a recalibrator. 1 mile = 1 mile. Measuring the mile incorrectly does not change what you really get. :poke: :)

i also normally ride with the gps on. but i went with the calibrator because i want my speedo to read right. fuckin bike makers need to start making accurate speedos. this "error" shit is bullshit.

anyway, the odo being off with the calibrator is just a trade off for having a corrected speedo and not that big of a deal, imho.

so its off 6%. thats 60 miles per 1000. so if you change oil at 3k your really changing oil at 2820 :poke: . or if you normally get 7k tire wear your really getting 6580. just tell your friends that you ride harder now so your tires wear faster :wink: . only you will know.

Damn, and now our top speed would be around 175. :grin: I guess if you get around some busas you could adjust your speedo to read +6% so than you could brag about getting almost 195 top speed out of your bike. :grin:

Maybe this is the only way manufacturers can boast top speed numbers :shock:

Maybe this is the only way manufacturers can boast top speed numbers

Motorcycle manufacturer's don't boast about top speed of their bikes. They leave that to bike magazines and guys on the internet. :lol:

In stock configuration the odo has less error than the speedo. So if you recal so that the speedo is correct, then the odo will actually under-read such that it will report less miles than you've actually completed, not more. Therefore you may want to shorten your oil change intervals to compensate, and yes it will 'appear' as though your tires are wearing quicker.

-Pace

If I do the 8%, the odo. will be reading 6% low. Less gas mileage, tire mileage, don't know when to change oil, etc.

I think I'll leave it alone.  Just good to know now and didn't even have to buy a GPS. $$$$$$$  :grin:

Same opinion here for the same reasons. One idea I had is to buy the relcalibrator and change it by 2.5% so the odometer is spot-on and the speedo reads a little more accurately. Or perhaps adjust it by 6% and split the difference, then everything would be inaccurate! Oh well.

BTW, you missed a couple of dollar signs when referring to the GPS. :roll:

"Gas mileage and tire mileage won't change at all due to adding a recalibrator. 1 mile = 1 mile. Measuring the mile incorrectly does not change what you really get."

Hey don't burst my bubble in my little world, I'm happy seeing bigger mileage #'s for my tires. They're low enough. :razz:

• 3 years later...

Hey.................do any of you have a copy of the sheet for setting the dip switches on the Ahlman unit? I've lost mine and I want to put the damn thing on my VTR.

I'd be very grateful to anyone that could scan and e-mail the info to me. :icon_suck:

Speedo Healer was the best $100 I spent lately....you determine your speedo error by timing the amount of time it takes you to cover 1 mile at an indicated 60mph. Exactly 60 mph = 1 minute exactly < or > would be a plus or minus % calcuation. I am now exactly on target ...