CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cam Cover Removal

mrbrd2u

I'm in the process of checking valve clearances on my '99 with 16K miles. The shop manual doesn't seem to say that the radiator & oil cooler must be removed so the outer cam cover can be removed to get to the inner cam covers, and thence the cams/lifters. There would be a lot more room to remove the outer cam cover if I DID take off the rad & oil cooler, but what experience have you posters had? Any easy way?

TIA

MisterBird2U :cry:

An easy way?

Don't check them. Consensus says checking the valves at 16k is pointless. Check them at 32, if you feel like it, but probably not required, either.

I'm at 89K km's (55K miles) and mine were just ready to be done. So if your at 16, I wouldn't panic.

However, to get the cam cover off, the manual does state how to do it. Make sure you have all the plumbing off the top of the engine, including the emissions stuff (if applicable), and the two silver reed covers (if applicable). I used a small prybar to hold back the plastic gaurd (go from under the front, behind the rad. Then it came out relatively easily. If you don't pull back the gaurd, it's next to impossible. Don't forget that the gaurd is split at the ends to let cables or something through, so you have to get a hold of the outsides to do the bending.

I had my cam cover off to replace a leaking cover gasket at about 14k miles and checked the valve clearances while I was in there. All were within tolerances.

I removed the cover per the instructions in the manual (thanks again Chris :grin: ). If I were to remove the cover again, I would try to get it out from the top. I'm not positive it would come out that way, but it looks like it would. It would sure be easier than taking the oil cooler, radiator, plastic, etc. loose.

:grin: ThanXX to you folks for making me have a little more "Peace of (alleged) Mind" about the valve clearances at 16K miles. I think I'll just change the plugs, rad coolant, (with flush), air filter (K & N), and let 'er go for another 16K. PAIR valves & reeds looked good. :grin:

ThanXX again!

MisterBird2U