CBR1100XX.org Forum

Red FI light comes

nambabwe

Before and after my recent (22 March 2004) SS 1000 my Bird has developed a snag in the system.

When riding, the red FI light comes on vagely and sometimes brightly, but as soon as I switch the lights or indicators it goes off for a while - WHAT CAN BE WRONG AND HAVE ANYBODY EXPERIENCE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE???

I fitted a new battery just before the SS 1000 and the problem went away, but has re-appeared now again after the SS 1000

What year is your 'Bird? I understand there is a wiring harness recall in Europe. It may apply to you.

I cleaned all the grounds, including the chassis and the battery and my FI light still comes on once in a while. My bike is an '00.

To check the system for fault codes, "it mite help"

Put the side stand down and start the motor, watch the Fi light. If it just goes out there are no faults, if it blinks there is.

Count the # of blinks and then go to pages 5-10 through 5-46.

And if you have a Power Commander, throw it away. It is of very little use on the 99/00 bikes. I have also seen and heard of a few to many FI problems caused by use of a PC on the above year bikes.

Yes I heard about this. :roll:

My '99 had exactly the same symptom. One day the light stayed on all the time and I fried the FI unit and part of the harness. Good thing the bike was still under warranty...... I had about $1500 in parts and labor :shock:

HONDA covered everything. They said that harness was shorting with the frame. Newer bikes have it routed different. Inspect your harness around the battery area.

BTW, there were no blinks of the FI light checking for problems. The light would just glow or not.....

Good luck,

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know it is only the 1999 and 2000 models which have this problem. I would check it if or when the light comes on, otherwise let sleeping dogs sleep.

OR

Do it over those long "sit infront of the TV" winter months. :lol: