CBR1100XX.org Forum

electronic guru needed

The Krypt Keeper

Buddy's zx7r has electrical issues. Since this bike is 50 miles away from me and he is unsure of his findings.

Can anyone assist with trouble shooting his generator, regulator and rectifier?

he has a brand new battery fully charged, sent me a message he had 15.6v going at the battery running at 3k rpm. Had him shut it down to prevent damage.

Now to the fun part, this isn't your typical stator and reg/rec system.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/375183/Kawasaki-Ninja-Zx-7r.html?page=300#manual

Need to test both reg and rec to see if both or one is bad. what should be connected and what should meter show or not show.

Any help would be great

Edited by The Krypt Keeper

The regulator is controlling how much power to put to the armature (rotor coil) and it sounds like it's putting full power to it no matter what the battery voltage is. is there a way to unplug the generator? This is just like the charging system in a car.

Buddy's zx7r has electrical issues. Since this bike is 50 miles away from me and he is unsure of his findings.

Need to test both reg and rec to see if both or one is bad. what should be connected and what should meter show or not show.

Any help would be great

The top of the page tells how to test if it's the regulator which I'm pretty sure it is.

Yep just like a car system is what I told him, without me being there to see for myself I was left with his explanation and pictures. took 30 minutes for him to find the generator. Had him look for anything burnt or discolored or smelled fried once he removed the cover and didn't.

Don't know if you have a way to unplug the gen or not. He did remove the reg to see if he could run the tests and said he didn't think his meter was working right. Don't know if its the meter or human error.. I am going with human error,

Will tell him to check it again with a different meter or someone who knows how to use.

Thanks..