CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID finally burned out

Mikey

So... are the bulbs universal? Can I just go out and buy a good one, or does it have to match my ballast?

And forgive my ignorance, as Stef had corrected me on how to change the bulbs in teh display without tearing the front end down... is there an easy way to get at the headlight without taking the front nose off?

My guess is "no." Mostly because it's a bitch to change a standard bulb, but HIDs have that extra wiring to contend with. No way you can gracefully tie that stuff up with the fairing in place. :(

No, you misunderstand. It's all installed, the bulb has blown on the HID (me thinks). So I'm wondering if they are universal on the plugin, voltage etc, and is there an easy access to the bulb?

Oh, I got that. I thought my bulb had wiring on it, it doesn't but still...MAYBE the lower bulb is accessible, but the upper one would be a pain for me to get to.

Honestly, just dedicate an evening to pulling the fairings off and putting them back on. I find it's less demoralizing to just bite the bullet and know you got the job done right.

As far as if any bulb will do, did you save the paperwork from the one you have? Can you order a replacement from the supplier? That would be the easiest thing to do. At the very least, they could verify the specs.

Wahaha...oh... you are serious. Uhm, no. I believe I may have misplaced my carefully organized and stored paperwork.

;)

BTW whenever I go on a trip, my first stop is the DMV to pick up new ownership and to call the insurance for new papers. I can't seem organized enough to keep anything.

I also don't think the bulbs would be universal because HID kits are assembled by the company making them for retailers.

So, if you get a spare bulb for YOUR make of HID kit, you should be fine, but I don't know if you can expect a replacement bulb from another supplier to use the same connection. It's not like it's classified like regular bulbs are and they connection and size fit is universal for that class. That's why I'd save the specs from the kit I install. So I could find the right spare if I need one down the road.

The Bulbs themselves are universal... however, the Bulb Connectors or the Bulb Base is not.

I have a set of McCulloch's and a set of DDM's and the bulb connectors are the same. they have the 2 wires sticking out of the back of the bulb, which is the standard base for most H7 HID bulbs.

My guess is that if you go to the auto parts store, all they are going to have is D1S and D2S bases, which are what come standard on most cars with HID lights. Not to mention they will want a fortune for them.

So... what kind of Bulbs or system do you have?

Next suggestion, buy extra parts. I bought DDM's, and because they were so cheap, I bought extra complete sets (yes plural, I have multiple units that I run the HID's in) for just for what your talking about.

Mikey I am not sure how your ballasts are mounted and all the wiring is tied on your bike. I have mine tied to the fairing stay and the bulbs are accessible by removing the inner dash panel. They are still a bitch and many curse word fly when changing a bulb but I have done it twice and didn't take the nose fairing off.

As for the bulbs. If you have a 35w ballast you should go with a 35w bulb and you will have to match up the connectors. Whatever you do DON'T touch the bulb itself. Grab it by the base. The oils from your skin will create hotspots on the bulb and it will burn out prematurely. Same as with a halogen bulb.

• Upvote 1

I think taking off the nose is going to be what I have to do. I don't know where I put that ballast. It's either zipped onto the stay, or it's tucked beside. Neither spot I'll be able to see the label. :(. Pretty sure it's 35w but want to make damn sure. Then I'll pop the HID out, and go to the local "pimp my ride" store and see if I can get real HID bulbs and not the blue ones. I like see where I'm off to.

• Upvote 1

Mikey, as said above, you should be able to get at the bulb, from between the forks and headlight. IIRC there is a rubber boot then you can access the bulb. Yes there will be much swearing Virginia. +1 on the no touchy of the bulb. While. You're doing the maintenance get yourself a ziplock bag, put your insurance and reg into it, and tape it to the underside of your seat.

PS I like your new avatar.

• Upvote 1

Uh, it's in a ziplock already...I just have to remember where I put it when I got home.... Getting at the bulb isn't my concern, it's figuring the wattage. And I like the avatar too. I figure it would be better than the hairy lesbian I had previously.

:)

• Upvote 1