CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil question

bhanxx

And no :roll: , it ain't about brand, weight or conventional vs. synethenic? I have been running syn, but change it this fall b4 storage using an automotive 10w-30 conventional so I wasn't storing bird w used oil in it. Am I better off changing back to syn right away b4 riding or should I do 1 ride getting it up to full operating temp to absorb any bad stuff that is still there b4 changing back to syn? I didn't change the filter, so I assume there is still some syn in there yet. The syn had about 4k on it when i changed it. My current think is to change it back to syn b4 riding. Thanks.

Automotive oil has some different additives and/or additives in different amounts. I would dump the sump oil before starting up to get rid of any conndensation, and change the filter if it was last years (used). The remaining automotive oil should cause no harm if you refill with synthetic, but be aware that whatever natural oil mixed with the synth will break down sooner (than the synth).

If you can find the articals on their web page, or get reprints, Motorcycle Consumer News has a whole slew of independent tests that are real eye-openers. Their bottom line is: Mobil 1 is best; Natural mcy oils are just as good for a certain time; Blends are only as good as the natural oil components. There are specs and tests for over 10 different oils.

Oh yea, just to keep the flame wars going: harlie oil is specially formulated to come in different containers than brand X :grin:

My understanding is that Dino oils for the first 600 miles or so protect as well as synth. Now, I'm also under the understanding that if you ran the engine at ALL after the change before putting it away, you're better off changing it, because the catalysts which break down in the oil are a result of the combustion process, and after 3 months the oil loses its protection.

Personally, I change the oil/filter in November, hold the trottle WFO and let the starter turn the engine over until the filter/etc fills, then take the battery out until April 1. Usually I'll run it for about 1000 miles then change the oil anyways.

Bruce, in the big scheme of things, it makes no FUCKING difference. Ride it, change it...whatever. My feeling is, you would be fine riding it a week then changing it. If it makes you feel better, change it. If you used the worst fucking car oil made on earth, it will be fine for a week or month of riding. My rule, car oil, change every 2000 miles, synthetic, every 4000 miles or every 4 trackdays when run on the track. I am all synthetic now, just to keep from the inconvenience of changing so often. Do what makes you feel good, the bike will be fine whatever you do.

Mac