CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 Bird with electrical gremlin.

slowrideCX

Good to hear the electrical is sorted out. As for the mix, being at lower altitude than it was tuned for would make it run leaner, not richer. That said, a couple hundred feet makes little difference and would likely take a dyno and/or exhaust gas analyzer to detect.

That is what I was thinking. If the carb works perfect as is, I wouldn't touch it.

Well I think my gremlins have found a new home elsewhere. ..

The Bird ran flawlessly yesterday and at an average speed of about 5mph most of the day the charging system got 1 hellova workout. She stood fast and never faultered.

My next endeavor will be to adjust the air fuel mixture she has a Factory Pro Jet kit and was jetted for 800'above sea level which hear in Jersey I am clearly not that high above. She runs a tad rich but damn good. That is why I have not messed with it.

One of these days I will pull it apart and see what I can do. The rubber diaphragms scare me. The last time i took 1 out it took me over an hr to get it back into the right spot. I believe the main needles have clips on them that I can use to adjust the main mixture so maybe if I ever get adventurous I will give it a go.

Good to hear the electrical is sorted out. As for the mix, being at lower altitude than it was tuned for would make it run leaner, not richer. That said, a couple hundred feet makes little difference and would likely take a dyno and/or exhaust gas analyzer to detect.

If this is the case then I need to dig into it and see why I am running on the rich side. Because everyone that rides behinde me complains of the exhaust smelling like it is running rich. In the winter months as soon as the bike starts Incan turn the choke off and it will run fine without the choke. That tells me that it is running too rich. Summer time I don't even need the choke to start it. Maybe it is as simple as adjusting the air fuel mix screws just a smidgen.

Thanks guys.

• 9 months later...
9 hours ago, xxblackbirdguy said:

I entertained HID but this post just made me not want too put HID on my bird sounds like a bad Idea all the way around for what little you gain!

The HID headlights are fucking awesome. Just buy a good set. Mine have been in both high and low beam for 7yrs and about 40k miles. Only had to change 1 bulb. The make a huge difference in night riding as far as sight distance.

My electrical problem was a corroded ground that was not working as it should. After I cleaned all the connections the problem has not come back. Don't  fear the HID embrace it. They are great. 

Do your research first though.