CBR1100XX.org Forum

My clutch is GONE !

XXFirefighter

Just keep in mind that after market clutches won't allow for a certain part of the clutch to go back in. It's a smaller metal plate than the others. You'll just have to leave it out. You'll understand when you put it back together and it doesn't fit. Hold on to it, just incase you go back to OEM clutch plates.

Also don't go getting drag racing clutch plates thinking they will last longer, race stuff is normally for races, not the street. You'll end up toasting it or having an unhappy start in stop and go traffic.

You need to make an honest appraisal of your riding style and ask yourself if you contributed to the clutch's demise (wheelies, burnouts, drag racing starts, etc.). If you think you may have accelerated the clutch wear through your riding style, just accept that you may have to replace it periodically. One nice thing about the stock clutch is it absorbs the shock loads of engagement and prevents possible wear or failure in other areas of the drivetrain, and is relatively easy and inexpensive to replace. My recommendation would be the stock clutch over aftermarket replacements for street use. I think Honda actually removed one clutch disk and one friction plate from the clutch in the FI ('99 and later) birds in order to soften clutch engagement, so you might consider investigating the possibility of using one of the earlier clutch packs. I don't know if it would be a direct swapout, but someone on the board should know.

Rich,

Glad you are back riding again. I didnt even know that you got the Bike back together and yourself all healed up all ready. :)

With your frequent trips to Laguna, I am not surprised about the clutch.

Replace it with stock and get back on the track !! :lol: