CBR1100XX.org Forum

1985 Virago 1000 - Need help setting float level

RTGwalt

Has anyone tried setting the float level on one of these V-Twins? I'm trying to help out my bud - he doesn't have a Clymer (damn it) and it has me stumped.

This is the one with a fuel pump - so the level is critical. I've found some info talking about attaching a clear hose to the bowl drain and extending it up the side of the carb to measure how high the fuel rises. I believe it needs to be 15-18mm - but I don't know where to measure from. Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks,

RTG

I have the Clymer manual for that bike. I can look up whatever you want me to...or I can just send you the fucking manual...but that wont help you right now. Lemme know what exactly you want. I'm in a sleep deprived stupor right now and I have read what you typed a few times but my brain just isnt getting it. :grin:

This one has the specifications

http://www.viragoownersclub.org/Tips/f_3.htm

Fuel system info

http://www.ultsoftware.com/images/Virago_F...uel_Systems.pdf

Excellent reference, even if it's for dirt bikes

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/floatlevel.html

Most of the time, when I've seen how you're supposed to measure the float level, you set the carb on it's side, and push the float up until the TANG (the tab that hits the needle) contacts the nipple on the needle and the needle seats, but DOESN"T depress the little spring on the needle. You measure from the bottom of the float (where it would normally first contact the gas) to the EDGE of the carb body (vertically, of course)

The problem with the clear tube method of measurment is that you're measuring the Gas height, not the position where the float is supposed to be. There's a difference there of enough to push the nipple on the needle in a bit. The net effect is the gas level will be too low, causing the engine to run lean.

Of course, you can always check the local library to see if they have a Virago clymer manual.

Hobicus,

I believe you have solved my problem. Intuitively, I first set the floats just above level when holding upside down. That setting poured out the gas. Next, I used the 18mm measurement and measured from top of the float (opposite of first part to touch fuel). That adjustment cut the gas off completely. Additionally, since the float was turning the fuel off too early( OK...completely) it caused the fuel pump to shut down from too much resistance. That's when I knew I needed help.

Thanks!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

RTG