CBR1100XX.org Forum

To DYNO or not to DYNO.....that is the question?

K-TOOL

Most of you know the story w/ my bike so I'll forego the whole story. My question is how soon is to soon. As of now I have 800 miles on the new motor. I changed the oil at 450 miles. It look good, there was not any noticeable metal in the oil or filter. I plan on changing it again at 1,000 miles. Then I will really filter the oil and check the filter. I talked to a guy at a local private shop that was recomended to me by a friend that has some experience w/ them. He said that the bike was safe to dyno after about 1,000 miles and the oil was completely free of metal. I told them the story and they said that they would throw the bike on the DYNO and measure all of the gases and the temps of each cylinder. My main concern, and the reason I want to do the DYNO, is that I feel that the dealership merely replaced the affected parts and did not actually correct the problem. Nothing that they replaced actually caused the problem.

Anyways, my question is how soon is to soon to DYNO a "new" motor?

You could dyno it right away, but best results will be seen when the engine is actually broken in.

1000 miles should be fine. 5K would probably be better for best output, but at 1K, things are mostly broken in, and the proper adjustments can be made.

I would wait - at least till you have 2000 miles on the bike to be safe.

On the dyno - the bike runs VERY hot, most quality dynos have cooling fans, which optumilly could be used to force air into the ram air ducts for a more precise h/p at a specific speed / rpm.

it is very important that the shop you choose takes off "both" engine side

panels, and uses at least one large (or two small) fans to cool the bike while doing the runs.

Remember - a GOOD - QUALITY dyno shop will run your bike on the following schedule:

10% throttle

20%

30%

40%

50%

60%

70%

80%

90%

100%

Then back to 5% and even 2.5% - if the guys is REALLY good.

That's at least 11 runs up to redline inside a closed room.

You would shit if you knew exactly how hot you bike gets; so do you want to rush into it before all wear parts (rings, bearings, valves, ect.) are FULLY seated and broken in?

Besides - like Nortman said - at 5K you'll get a better dyno reading with the engine being a little "looser".

Be patient - all good things will come............

Good Luck!

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate the input. I dont know jack shit when it comes to knowing what to look for from a dyno and a good mech. My goal is not to find out MAX HP, but to diagnose any problems before they have an ill effect on the motor. I would like to find out as soon as possible to avoid running the bike under less than ideal circumstances. The guy said it would take about 10 runs to have an accurate guage as to how things are going. I will probably wait till 1500 or so.

Let me add this:

You said you were NOT looking for peak h/p - only to spot potential

problems before they start!?!?

That is not the purpose of a dyno.

If you are mearly looking to see if the bike is in A-1 running shape;

save yourself about $200.00 and see your local HONDA service dept.

Have the service manager take a look, possibly ride the bike - and ask his

opinion on the bikes condition & performance compared to simular bikes

of the same year & mileage.

The dyno might be ablee to alert you of a bad plug, clogged air filter, but most guys replace tham before dyno tuning anyway.

The dyno isn't going to alert you to a streached chain, sloppy cam chain tensioner, worn sprockets, ect.

If all you want / need is advise on operating condition - follow the suggested service intervals in your operators manual - you will be fine!

Good Luck!