CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bitter/Sweet sale: 2000 VTR1000/996 SuperHawk w/13k

First note: My son Nolan is fine, no crash, no injuries, pardon the use of "bitter" in the title.

Second note: Mike, again, you were Superman for getting us the bike.

So here's the short timeline on the sale/purchase/sale of Mike'/Nolan's/________'s VTR:

1. Nolan and I met Mike at the halfway point between Tenn and Joisy (Staunton, VA, 400 miles for each of us, one way) on June 11 to buy the bike (see Mike's post).

2. I ride home 400 miles in the rain as Nolan trails in my car the next day.

3. We enjoy casual, low risk rides throughout June. The longest was 20 ish miles.

4. We together complete the full weekend MSF Basic Riders course on the weekend of June 27-29.

5. More casual, low risk riding into July.

6. Nolan joins the family mid-vacation down at the NJ shore on July 16 and proclaims he doesn't 'feel it' and is uncomfortable riding... he wants to give up riding and sell the bike. He adds that a friend of a friend has just been involved in a serious bike crash on Rt. 80 in PA and it has further spooked him. Hence the bitter/sweet moment: Although I like a world better that has Nolan off of a bike, I was looking forward to the sweet part of riding with him for years to come.

Ultimately, I praised him for his maturity and was relieved he told me now, rather than at the side of a hospital bed. Pretty keen sense to know ya ain't 'feelin' it. Especially after I explained most riders do indeed get 'that feelin' and get intoxicated with it and can't get enough. He never got that feeling.

But no tears... I then asserted firm fatherly rules and made him march down to DMV to get the motorcycle endorsement on his license with the MSF paperwork in case he ever changes his mind.

So, Mike's Nolan's VTR is for sale! It now has exactly 13,015 miles on it after the ride home from VA and the short bursts here in Joisy. Again, check out Mike's earlier post for all the details and pics (I'm all thumbs and can't paste the topic page url in this post for some reason... duh me... can somebody do it for me... or perhaps I'll just 'bump' Mike's post?).

Of course we would like to get the $2,900 we paid Mike... especially if it goes to someone in the Northeast (free delivery from Tenn!! again, thanks Mike!), but we are willing to listen to all offers.

Thanks!

Glenn

That bike is *still* a steal for $2900.

Glenn, have you ever had any problems starting it after a ride in the rain? I never did, but I've heard that some experienced motorcyclists have had issues like that. Just curious.

Yes, I'm that evil. C'mon, you'd do it to me - I'd think you a lesser man if you didn't.

Good luck with the sale. Very mature decision on Nolan's part, it just isn't for everyone and if you aren't all in the game, best to get all out. Hopefully there's enough of summer left to tempt a buyer (HINT KELLY!!!).

I'd consider taking it back, but I have no storage now and it's sort of already been replaced, unintentionally.

• Upvote 1

Good on him for saying that he doesn't feel it.

Way better than ending up in a wreck.

A very mature thing to do, be proud of him.

• Upvote 1

Mike is referring to me calling him in a panic from the rainy ride home that the bike wouldn't start at a gas stop. I was asking him all kinds of questions... does the bike have any odd quirks? Doesn't like rain? With both of us stumped, we hung up, bike not started.

Nolan comes walking out of the bathroom at the stop: "Hey dad, aren't ya supposed to flip this red switch off of the kill position??"

Vvvvrrroooooommm.

While I'm thinking I'm going to have to turn around and drive 200 miles north to pick the bike up and give Glenn his money back... bad neutral switch? Bad side stand switch? Clutch switch? Vacuum to the fuel valve? Dang, what could it be... it's never given me a single problem...