CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID Headlight ???

TurboJoe

Hi all...

I have been running a HID (6000k 35W AC ballast) in my low beam for about 6 months..no issue at all.

Question:

Is there an advantage of doing a projector or is the factory reflector about as good as it gets?

The blackbird reflector is about the best in the world for HID. You could go to a bi-xenon if you used a projector, but I don't know if you'd improve on the beam pattern much.

I agree with Mike. The Bird has a unique design that works great with the needed cut-offs for HID.

I have HID both high and low beam and looking to possibly go to LED for the High Beam to eliminate the delay when lighting up the high beam.

I saw some very bright LED's on a bike about a week ago that were instant on. They looked almost as bright as the HID's.

Projectors are ALWAYS the way to go. If you don't have a super clean cut-off line, you are scattering wasted light up into the sky.

Projectors have gotten much much cheaper. You can get a pair for $120 so i'm sure they would sell one for about half that.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Just my opinion - the cutoff on an XX low beam is as good as a projector. I've ridden the Dragon in the dark at least as many times as in the light, on both the XX with HID low and the 990 ADV with a bi-xenon projector. The XX factory low beam housing with a quality HID is every bit as good as the projector, with more than ample throw and perhaps better side spill. Keeping in mind it's a low beam, where a 3000-yard throw isn't the objective, it is beyond adequate. A projector, unless bi-xenon, would be a waste of money.

I've also installed projectors in various housings. It is not for the timid, and if you goof it up, you get to buy a new housing. That said, theretrofitsource has superb customer service and a great selection.

iFanboi...I will be riding the Dragon the week of the 4th of July. All of my friends back home in Knoxville are begging me to come up. I actually was in Knoxville the last two days ... but without the bike :-(

Yeah I know...I practically lived on the hill. If I had a dollar for every Killboy photo taken I would be able to Turbo my Bird. LOL Unfortunately that is the only time I can get there this summer while the wife and kids visit my in-laws in Roane county.

Give the squids the dragon. The surrounding roads are awesome too!!

I miss my spring bike trips. The kiddo and career are cramping my riding style! Good thing it is just a phase.

• 3 weeks later...