CBR1100XX.org Forum

Installing a pc3

vrodguy12

So I have had the bb for 4 years runs fine but has to be running lean with the K&N Filter and MIG high mount exhaust. So I have a pc3 and was going to put it on the bike doesn't look to hard to do. But once it's on the bike where do I go from there? Is it easy enough to figure out how to tune it??? Or the is a shop not far from me that does a lot of dyno work and they are know to be good, should I let tem tune it?? I am not looking for more power per say just think the bike has to be lean. Please advise. Thanks Hank

I doubt it's lean enough to hurt anything, but usually a PC3 can help with the lean spots in the 4-5K RPM range. You should seek a good dyno tuner to get it dialed in. Talk to other local bikers and see who actually knows what they are doing. My experience is that most shops that have dynos rarely have someone that does.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jon, I have found a guy who has his own dyno and he knows what he is doing. So you don't think that any hare is being done to bike the way it is? What would be the advantage to putting the pc3 on it?

The advantage is you get to tune the bike. If the guy with the dyno knows what he is doing you can have him tune it for better fuel economy at low TPS range and more power when out of that range.

For example I picked up about 5HP peek, and a bit more throw the range. Bike is smoother and also picked up 15+MPG on the highway with the tuning as long as I drive reasonable.

The advantage is you get to tune the bike. If the guy with the dyno knows what he is doing you can have him tune it for better fuel economy at low TPS range and more power when out of that range.

For example I picked up about 5HP peek, and a bit more throw the range. Bike is smoother and also picked up 15+MPG on the highway with the tuning as long as I drive reasonable.

THIS.

First off, Your bike is Not running lean with said aftermarket parts on it.... however it is probably running Lean-er than the slightly rich mixtures set on the bike from the factory. Which is honestly a Good thing.

Are your exhaust tips covered in Black soot or not? Yes=Bad=Stock/Rich. No=Good.

Then there's the Dyno thing.

The biggest problem is..... Finding a Guy that Actually KNows how to tune a bike.

This Dyno Guy.... does he have a Inertia dyno or a Brake dyno? Or maybe I should ask... DynoJet Dyno or CycleDyn?

Why do I ask... because only the Brake Dyno... can perform any tuning at any other Throttle position, besides 100.

If this Guy tells you otherwise... and you believe him... ask him to Lube First.

If you looking for mpg.... a lot of guys go the simple and effective route. An 18 tooth front sprocket.

Although, 15+MPG is an awful lot to attribute to just a good PC tune. :unsure:

Had the tune done mid trip, went from 30-35 MPG to 45-53MPG fuel savings paid for the tune in my case. But the bike was running very rich at the start.

I believe there is a tune bank in the garage with some maps including mine you could try.

Although, 15+MPG is an awful lot to attribute to just a good PC tune. :unsure:

Had the tune done mid trip, went from 30-35 MPG to 45-53MPG fuel savings paid for the tune in my case. But the bike was running very rich at the start.

I believe there is a tune bank in the garage with some maps including mine you could try.

Thanks for the advice, but only my Drag-Bird has a P/C. The street-going Bird I'm now selling is stock.