CBR1100XX.org Forum

jet kit/idle prob

v00d00child

Yes, still me, still trying to get the bird on the road after the jet kit install...

In last week's (hell, month's) episode, our stupor hero installed an Erion Racing (dynojet) jet kit using the larger jets (D140's), clip on middle land, mixture screws 2 turns out (seems to idle better than 2.5). Synched the carbs, replaced spark plugs with iridiums, waxed the tank, talked softly to her, and what do I get?

SQUAT!

The bike seems to idle and rev fine when I'm using an aux gas tank, but when I put the tank back on, she idles fine for about 2-3 minutes, then starts bucking, gasping, and eventually dies. WTFO??? Put the aux tank to her, and she's all happy. Checked vacuum lines, don't seem to be any leaks, checked for fuel in the tank (duh),...at a loss here.

Any ideas? Don't really wanna be seen riding an XX with a lawnmower gas tank...

Try it with the gas cap open. If your problem goes away, you got a blocked or kinked vent line. 2-3 minutes is pretty quick for that to be it, but it's worth a shot if you haven't already tried it.

OH OH!!! Had the exact thing happen to me. One of the little hoses that goes on your petcock is on the wrong nipple. There are two that look very similiar. Use the other one. It's not the one on the bottom but the one on the side. Give it a shot. I'll betcha a donut. That's exactly what happen to me.

Mikey-

Does it really matter which of the vacuum lines coming off the tee attaches to what? I mean, they're both seeing the same vacuum source, right? Why should it matter? Also, I noticed that next to the lhs tank hold down bolt, there's a hose clip that is just begs to hold a line the same size as the vacuum lines, know what that's for? Can't imagine a vacuum line being exposed to atmospheric, but so far, this whole thinking thing hasn't gotten me back on the road...

Thx for the info. Now that I've had a few beers, I'm goin back out & gonna REALLY fix er...

L8

Does it really matter which of the vacuum lines coming off the tee attaches to what? I mean, they're both seeing the same vacuum source, right?

Not sure about bikes but on cars it does make a difference. There is timed vacuum and port vacuum. In other words, no vacuum at idle with timed but always vac. with port.

Blackhawk-

Right, but those are on opposite sides of the throttle plate. The vacuum line for the tank tees off, so both runs off the tee should be seeing the same vacuum.

Anywho, I went out, started her, and after a minute or two, tried to open the gas cap. Couldn't budge it. Finally, with a mighty yank, I got her open--being held shut due to what else, vacuum. I unhooked one of the vacuum lines that attached to the nipple on the tank and secured it in the little clip near the lhs tank hold down bolt. She seems to run fine, doesn't show any signs of sputtering & dying. I bought the new Haynes manual for the XX, and it shows the tank hose connections, but doesn't show a bare nipple ( :shock: maybe I'm looking in the wrong type of literature for bare nipples), they all have hoses attached.

Do the rest of you carb'd guys have a vacuum hose unattached???

I haven't seen a Haynes manual for this bike but had one for my V65 Sabre. There were some mistakes in it, so with the XX, I bought the Honda manual. It is excellent!!

For your problem there are perfect drawings of where all the hoses go.

I don't have the capabilities to send you a pic. so I will try to describe where they all go.

I think Mikey is right, the single hose that comes from the #3 cyl. vacuum goes on the petcock but there are 2 nipples on it right near each other, one is for the diaphram to receive atmosperic pressere (no hose goes here) the other is for the engine vacuum. On the back of the petcock is the correct one. It sits higher then the other one and comes out of the center of the circle not the bottom. This is where the #3 cyl. vacuum goes.

You have the 2 fuel hoses that go to T on the petcock, a overflow hose to the tank and a breather tube to the tank.

I'm confused how you have a T for vacuum. It is one hose from #3 cyl. to the petcock. Unless you have a California bike then it T's to the evap. purge control valve. I can tell you this, you can't have a open to atmosphere vacuum or you will have a problem.

Pete-

I know I'm good on the petcock hookups. Maybe a clearer way to attack this: There are 2 nipples coming directly off the tank, one larger diameter than the other. The larger is the overflow line that simply routes downward. What the heck connects to the smaller nipple?

Finally, with a mighty yank, I got her open--being held shut due to what else, vacuum.

Sounds like you had the vent line hooked up to a vacuum source. Can't say for sure in the carbed models, but on the FI models the fuel tank air vent hose is connected to a small nipple on the bottom of the tank, and is routed down to exit down on the bottom of the bike to atmosphere.

What the heck connects to the smaller nipple?

Being an FI guy, this is a guess, but I'd say your vent hose connects to that smaller nipple.

I unhooked one of the vacuum lines that attached to the nipple on the tank

Can't see any reason for a vacuum source to the tank. You at one point seemed to be assuming all the lines are vacuum lines, they are not, one is a vent line, which you seem to have found.

I think somebody mentioned the vent line in the first response to your question......... :???:

There should be two small hoses. One goes from the tank itself down to nothing really (if I remember correctly). The other goes from the carb up to the petcock and goes in the side ((not the bottom) nipple. You could take compressed air and blow it up the nipple attached to your bottom of the tank to clear out whatever is plugging it.

On my bird ('97) the vacuum hose comes off the #2 cylinder

and connects at the rear of the petcock to the tit that runs

horizontally.

:cool: TJ :cool:

Blackhawk-

Right, but those are on opposite sides of the throttle plate. The vacuum line for the tank tees off, so both runs off the tee should be seeing the same vacuum.

Anywho, I went out, started her, and after a minute or two, tried to open the gas cap. Couldn't budge it. Finally, with a mighty yank, I got her open--being held shut due to what else, vacuum. I unhooked one of the vacuum lines that attached to the nipple on the tank and secured it in the little clip near the lhs tank hold down bolt. She seems to run fine, doesn't show any signs of sputtering & dying. I bought the new Haynes manual for the XX, and it shows the tank hose connections, but doesn't show a bare nipple ( :shock: maybe I'm looking in the wrong type of literature for bare nipples), they all have hoses attached.

Do the rest of you carb'd guys have a vacuum hose unattached???

If you take apart the petcock, 4 screws, you can put the nipple to any of four directions. I don't know if Honda standardized the direction at assy. or not. Plus if the bike is used or not it could go any way. Mine is straight down.

Well, had enough. With one branch off the vacuum tee connected to the petcock nipple, I plugged the other branch, and took er out for a spin.

DAY-UMMM!!! Power everywhere! Smooth idle, crisp response. Made a friend follow me on his triumph (had to have someone to push me home), and we wound up taking a stoplight-to-stoplight route to pick up another riding buddy before we hit a few local roads. Noticed my bike went to halfway on the temp gauge (pretty hot for my bike), but it was mid 80's, and we hit some torturously long lites. Afraid to check my mileage, but I guess power's got to have its' pricetag.

Bottom line, it sounds like my bike is a bit of a frankenstein with the tee'd line off the carb, but if the now unattached line is for something critical, I sure as heck can't detect anything wrong.

TJ--counter to all your accusers, looks like 2 turns out on the mixture screws works like a champ for some of us.

Thx for the input everyone!

L8r

chad

Referance point, here goes.

If your sitting on the bike, the line with the "T" goes to the nipple on the tank

on the right hand side of the fuel petcock.

The vaccum is supplied, (like TJ described) from the hose on the block

below #2 carb.

This vaccum hose attaches to the front side of the fuel petcock,

(not the bottom)

hope this helps.

Later, Cal

TJ--counter to all your accusers, looks like 2 turns out on the mixture screws works like a champ for some of us.

Glad I could help ;-) It makes sense if you think about it,after all

the kit comes with 136 main jets (leaner than the stock 140-142s).

The only time I could ever see going 2.5 turns out in TX (sea

level, high temp) would be if I had installed a really high-flowing

exhaust and the 140 mains that the kit provides.

It really does flesh out the powerband, don't it? Just pull, pull,

pull, all of the time. I can already tell I'll be going through tires

like underwear! :shock: :grin:

Use high-quality fuel though.. If ya put

cheap stuff in there it is prone to knocking around 4-5K rpm.

(IE: use gas station gas, not convenience store gas)

I'm about to get a free dyno run on May 3rd. Will post the

results. I am going to use it to fine tune my jetting, etc.

I'm hoping to yank down somewhere in the 140's. I

don't expect more than that until I install a good aftermarket

exhaust. (hoping to find some cheap Jardines on e-bay, ha ha)

:cool: TJ :cool:

Well, put about 175 miles on the bird since the resurrection. Checked mileage today when I filled up--29 mpg. I swore if rejetting put me below 30, I'd undo it all & go back to stock, as I hate pulling over every 1.5 hrs on a long trip to fill up. But with the way the kit woke the bike up everywhere on the tach, no way. Also, it isn't fair to compare the 29 to my all time best of 42 mpg long trip slab miles), as I was ripping around the hills in 2nd and 3rd gears for about 80 miles of the ride. Hopefully, I'll be able to pull at least low to mid 30's if I somehow restrain myself from the constant "pin and grin" style...

chad

• 1 year later...